Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 950 Is A $150+ Bargain For Linux Gamers

Phoronix: NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 950 Is A $150+ Bargain For Linux Gamers

NVIDIA this morning is announcing the GeForce GTX 950, which they are advertising as the successor to the GeForce GTX 650 that's still one of the most commonly used graphics cards by gamers. The GeForce GTX 950 is going to retail for less than $200 while claiming to deliver three times the performance of the GTX 650 and twice the performance efficiency of this former mid-range Kepler graphics card. The past few days I've been testing out the EVGA GeForce GTX 950 to great success under Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I was thinking about getting one to tide me over until Pascal but it's a bit pricey for what would be a temporary card for me. Overall looks like a nice card though.

Comment

Once they STOP oversizing the cards, I'll buy one. Why the hell is a 90W card SO LARGE ? It can be made single slot and/or much shorter.

EDIT: Page 5 - Metro 20333 Redux

Comment

The card basically uses the same chip as the GTX 960, maybe some partly faulty ones are reused - or just crippled because they should sell cheaper. I would go for the GTX 960 instead of a factory overclocked card or get the basic model and save money - you can try to OC if you want. Both cards support HDCP 2.2/HDMI 2.0 - so interesting for Ultra Bluray (Most likely an MS OS is needed for that). Looking forward to see some cheaper cards with HDCP 2.2. And of couse they support HEVC. Would like to test that with Radeon and Nvidia cards via VDPAU and Intel Skylake via VAAPI.

Comment

What about some sub $100 cards? I need a replacement for my 6670, a sub $100 card since it looks like nobody is interested in implementing OpenGL 4.0 support in the r600...

Comment

Originally posted by haplo602 View Post
            Once they STOP oversizing the cards, I'll buy one. Why the hell is a 90W card SO LARGE ? It can be made single slot and/or much shorter.
            More to the point: why does it need an 8 pin connector?

Comment

EDIT: Page 5 - Metro 20333 Redux
              Blame AIB:s, reference design is short dual slot card:

I doubt that you can bought one with reference design though: AIB:s have their own gtx960 designs, which they can reuse. There will be short ones too I'm certain about that(and there already are), but not single slots(some cards could have single slot bracket, but dual slot cooling design).

Comment

Agreed. To my recollection, the most powerful single-slot GPU I encountered within the past 3 years was a HD 7770. But there just doesn't seem to be any reason why this is necessary. I used to own a 7900 GTO that was a single-slot GPU and it rarely exceeded 65C; it was about 85W.
                It just doesn't make sense, because GPUs like this appeal to micro ATX or even mini ITX builds, but by using a dual-slot card you're greatly limiting the already limited space in these cases.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Agreed. To my recollection, the most powerful single-slot GPU I encountered within the past 3 years was a HD 7770. But there just doesn't seem to be any reason why this is necessary. I used to own a 7900 GTO that was a single-slot GPU and it rarely exceeded 65C; it was about 85W.
                  It just doesn't make sense, because GPUs like this appeal to micro ATX or even mini ITX builds, but by using a dual-slot card you're greatly limiting the already limited space in these cases.
                  There are several GTX 750 ti's arround with single slot design but most will have a double slot heatsink footprint. Then there's the Galaxy GTX 750 ti Razor.

EDIT: Take a look at this case in development http://zaber.com.pl/sentry/
                  Last edited by nitroflow; 20 August 2015, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
                    I need a replacement for my 6670, a sub $100 card since it looks like nobody is interested in implementing OpenGL 4.0 support in the r600...
                    Just curious, why do you say that ? Several 4.x features were enabled for r600 in the last month.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X