ExaGear Launches For x86 Windows/Linux Apps On ARM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pUnK View Post
    The problem is ARM devices usually have OpenGLES drivers but x86 have OpenGL and you can not "simpe passthrough"

That isn't the case for Tegra and PowerVR. Nor for Freedreno and Lima.

Comment

Intel makes opposite stuff - ARM to x86
      There was also at one point in time, an OSS(IIRC) ARM->MIPS lib as well, when quite a few Chinese companies were using MIPS based SoCs.

It's really just to try to get around the native code incompatibilities of some Android apps with Android running on archs other than ARM, as lets face it at the moment 99.99999% of Android devices are running on an ARM SoC of some type.

opengl v gles: I think that's because most of the ARM SoC vendors are focused on Android. Sometimes they do offer general linux opengl drivers but they're usually really out of date...

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        The open drivers for ARM often (aim to) support desktop GL. Freedreno already does, the others are working towards it I believe. So checking if the host has GL available should be quite feasible, not to mention GLES passthrough.
        We do not drop or prohibit GL. If you install in guest GL driver and install in guest corresponding driver and all configure properly than GL will work. But because it is tricky and do not work for all devices we prefer infor about GL hardware support. So "not support GL" mean GL do not work from the box.

Comment

Originally posted by cutterjohn View Post
          opengl v gles: I think that's because most of the ARM SoC vendors are focused on Android. Sometimes they do offer general linux opengl drivers but they're usually really out of date...
          Yes it is true. As I mentioned above we are working on GL support by decoding GL to GLES. But this work will take a couple of month.

Comment

We do not drop or prohibit GL. If you install in guest GL driver and install in guest corresponding driver and all configure properly than GL will work. But because it is tricky and do not work for all devices we prefer infor about GL hardware support. So "not support GL" mean GL do not work from the box.

If i have a quad core Tegra-4 phone with Ubuntu, can i play a 3D MMO with Wine?

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
              If i have a quad core Tegra-4 phone with Ubuntu, can i play a 3D MMO with Wine?
              It is possible if you have ARM 3d driver and install the same version of driver in guest-x86 system. But I bet it will be tricky. Unfortunately we do not have Tegra4 based devices in our lab and can not test this case.

Comment

4.5x faster than QEMU? On what benchmark? It's easy to get that kind of speedup by running floating-point app given that QEMU relies on software emulation of FP ops.

Comment

Originally posted by ldesnogu View Post
                  4.5x faster than QEMU? On what benchmark? It's easy to get that kind of speedup by running floating-point app given that QEMU relies on software emulation of FP ops.

Qemu is simply underdeveloped because companies like Intel are involved. No FP support, no SIMD recognition, no persistent cache for the 10% of a program that is usually responsible for the 90% of the performance (only that can give native performance), no acceleration like OCL transcoding on a separate CPU or GPU thread. And above all (with all emulators of the world) you cannot recognize the structure of the CPU you want to emulate by its backend, you have to develop a new.

Comment

Originally posted by ldesnogu View Post
                    You can take a look on some benchs here http://eltechs.com/product/exagear-desktop/
                    Actually 4.5x is average number for integer cpu-intensive benchs. For FP tests numbers a much more better, around 30x (because we use hw fp).

Comment

You can take a look on some benchs here http://eltechs.com/product/exagear-desktop/
                      Actually 4.5x is average number for integer cpu-intensive benchs. For FP tests numbers a much more better, around 30x (because we use hw fp).
                      Thanks. The page you link mentions GeoBenchmark which apart from IO stuff only contains FP benchmarks (unless I missed something). Would you have some number for pure integer benchmarks? Something like nbench would be nice

Comment

Working...
                      X