Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KGraphViewer Brought To KDE Frameworks 5, Qt 5

Phoronix: KGraphViewer Brought To KDE Frameworks 5, Qt 5

For those relying upon KGraphViewer as a Graphviz dot graph viewer, it's the latest package ported to Qt5 and KDE Frameworks 5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by tichun
    I despise the naming system of KDE applications.
    Too much 'K', no spaces between words and some silly words.r
    It is just to amateurish haha
    Pretty much every DE I have tested has this kind of amateurish crap.
    For example MATE uses:
    • Caja file manager instead of simply File manager
    • Pluma text editor instead of simply Text editor
    • Atril Document viewer instead of simply Document viewer
    Even LibreOffice uses this childish brand names:
    • Writer document
    • Calc spreadsheet
    etc.
    I would be much more happy to have simple names that describe what they do instead of this brand-like name, because I don't even care how are they called, just what they do.
    Simple names would be much more easier for my parents and newcomers to an OS or DE.
    I don't even want to tell what nightmare this is for translators to make it understandable in another language when you have proper nouns.
    Looking at LibreOffice localized in my language I feel sorry fo anyone who uses it, including my parents, because the most important things are not translated and they have a hard time understand it and using it.
    "Writer" the name of the main component is not translated, either because translators thought it's a proper noun or LibreOffice treats it as brand name and don't allow it to be translated.
    It baffles me that the develpers don't understand that while "Writer" is pretty easy for english-speaking people to understand and figure out what it does, it's not so easy for people speaking other languages.
    IMO, Word processor or Rich text editor could've been simpler and easier to translate.
    I think I remember that in the past I tried to quickly open the terminal in KDE by searching for "Terminal" because I didn't know or cared how the've called it and it failed because it was actually called "Konsole"
    I think this isn't a problem anymore, but it was stupid then.
    Anyway, maybe desktop environments' developers will understand this one day and will name the programs that are part of the DE like:
    • File manager
    • Archive manager
    • Image viewer
    • Image editor
    • Video player
    • Audio player
    I can only hope.

Comment

Or... Or... you both could grow up, realize that nobody does what you're asking... not Microsoft, not Apple, not Google, so expecting open source applications to take on generic names is even more ridiculous given the kind of naming collisions that would create.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        I would be much more happy to have simple names that describe what they do instead of this brand-like name, because I don't even care how are they called, just what they do.
        No problem in KDE, you get that in a few clicks(5 I think). Or a combination with brand name and description, if that's to your liking. It's really a non issue, it was already solved several years ago. At least since KDE3, or some time during the KDE2 years,

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        I think I remember that in the past I tried to quickly open the terminal in KDE by searching for "Terminal" because I didn't know or cared how the've called it and it failed because it was actually called "Konsole"
        My guess is you remember wrong, in KDE you get it quite clearly on top of your search before you have spelled "term".

Comment

Seems like a great piece of software.

Graphviz <3

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
            Or... Or... you both could grow up, realize that nobody does what you're asking... not Microsoft, not Apple, not Google, so expecting open source applications to take on generic names is even more ridiculous given the kind of naming collisions that would create.
            Huh? Yes they do. Pretty much every single accessory in both Windows and Mac use generic names (or at the very least, easy to interpret names). The exceptions are the more gimmicky programs that nobody ever uses (like Photobooth).

I personally don't mind it so much when applications start with a letter if it helps me know which environment it belongs to. I like knowing when something uses GTK or Qt, or when something is tightly integrated with GNOME or KDE.

I'm pretty confident that if Linux wasn't so fragmented, we wouldn't get these stupid names.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Huh? Yes they do. Pretty much every single accessory in both Windows and Mac use generic names (or at the very least, easy to interpret names). The exceptions are the more gimmicky programs that nobody ever uses (like Photobooth).

I personally don't mind it so much when applications start with a letter if it helps me know which environment it belongs to. I like knowing when something uses GTK or Qt, or when something is tightly integrated with GNOME or KDE.

I'm pretty confident that if Linux wasn't so fragmented, we wouldn't get these stupid names.
              It's called Microsoft {Word, Excel, Powerpoint, OneNote, Access, Windows, Movie Maker, Windows Explorer, Internet Explorer,...}
              It's called Google {Android, Keep, Drive, Docs, Play Store,...}
              It's called Apple{ macOS, iWork, iTunes, iCloud, ...}

Do I need to go on?

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

It's called Microsoft {Word, Excel, Powerpoint, OneNote, Access, Windows, Movie Maker, Windows Explorer, Internet Explorer,...}
                It's called Google {Android, Keep, Drive, Docs, Play Store,...}
                It's called Apple{ macOS, iWork, iTunes, iCloud, ...}

Do I need to go on?
                I'm aware there ARE applications without generic names, I'm just saying that Windows and Mac have way more generic names than you want to believe.

Also, how exactly do you not realize you're contradicting yourself? Movie Maker and Internet Explorer are titled exactly what they are (albeit, Movie Maker is a bit ambitious of a name). How are those not generic names? Meanwhile, Word, OneNote, Google Drive, iTunes, and (if you know what a cloud is) iCloud are pretty self-explanatory without opening them.

You had many options to defend your argument and you chose those?
                Last edited by schmidtbag; 12 September 2017, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  I'm aware there ARE applications without generic names, I'm just saying that Windows and Mac have way more generic names than you want to believe.

Also, how exactly do you not realize you're contradicting yourself? Movie Maker and Internet Explorer are titled exactly what they are (albeit, Movie Maker is a bit ambitious of a name). How are those not generic names? Meanwhile, Word, OneNote, Google Drive, iTunes, and (if you know what a cloud is) iCloud are pretty self-explanatory without opening them.

You had many options to defend your argument and you chose those?
                  Great Goalpost movement... So let's recap:

Goal Post 1: Applications should have no branding and have totally generic names
                  Goal Post 2: Most applications on Windows have generic names
                  Goal Post 3: These branded names are self-descriptive, even though they're not the generic name.

Well guess what? If that's now our goalpost most k/g software names are self-descriptive such as KGraphViewer the subject of this article, and K/G software are now okay again.

Comment

I hate searching online for errors in generically named programs.

Comment

Working...
                    X