KGraphViewer Brought To KDE Frameworks 5, Qt 5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    And regarding Google Drive: it does sound self-explanatory, although not necessarily for storing stuff in the cloud as a 'drive' is also hardware-related. But the rest I agree with.
    If you're using a Chromebook or Google Docs, Google Drive actually behaves just like a normal hard drive (to the end user, obviously not so much in the grand scheme).

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
    Internet Explorer has been replaced by Edge.
    I'm aware. Doesn't detract that IE (which is still found on many Windows 10 installs) is a generic name for a web browser.

And how is putting "i" in front of something any better than putting "k" in front of something? So "itunes" is great but "kalarm" is somehow bad?

And KDE has "way more generic names than you want to believe", too, like system settings, words, stage, sheets, kwrite, kruler, labplot, smb5k, etc.
    You're arguing against the wrong person here. I'm more in-favor of the prefixes than most people here. I think it's a little dumb, but useful. I also never doubted the amount of generic names in KDE.

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    Great Goalpost movement... So let's recap:

Goal Post 1: Applications should have no branding and have totally generic names
    Goal Post 2: Most applications on Windows have generic names
    Goal Post 3: These branded names are self-descriptive, even though they're not the generic name.

Well guess what? If that's now our goalpost most k/g software names are self-descriptive such as KGraphViewer the subject of this article, and K/G software are now okay again.
    Never moved the goalpost... you just were kicking toward the wrong one... You're also doing a real crap job at paying attention to who you're arguing against.
    1. I never said that and I don't necessarily agree.
    2. Most applications Windows comes with have generic names. Sure, maybe I should've been more explicit, but the point was there are a lot more generic names than you wanted to believe.
    3. I pointed out self-descriptive names in the post before the one you started rattling off programs. That's your fault for not paying attention.

Like TheBlackCat, you are failing to realize that I wasn't whining about generic names for KDE or Gnome, and, I don't really care about having stuff like a K in front.

Chill out and pay attention.
    Last edited by schmidtbag; 09-13-2017, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
      Well.. With a proper level of deduplication there would be room for better, generic names.
      I agree. Let's start by killing Gnome and all its applications, so we won't have to use 'K' in KDE apps.

See how ridiculous that sounds when you put a pro-KDE slant to it. Just as annoying as your childish/trolling comments about Gnome.

Comment

How about a "kudos to the devs" here? Wow 3 pages of nomenclature discussion that all boils down (like every Linux DE discussion on the web) to one's personal bias on the subject. I use Plasma every day for work and play and, for one, am grateful for all the hard work the community - and guys like J. Riddell - put into it. Free software is free, so feel free to fork it and rename it whatever you forking want to.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Never moved the goalpost... you just were kicking toward the wrong one... You're also doing a real crap job at paying attention to who you're arguing against.
          1. I never said that and I don't necessarily agree.
          You said it implicitly by attacking my argument rather than the one I was replying to, and then replying with:

2. Most applications Windows comes with have generic names. Sure, maybe I should've been more explicit, but the point was there are a lot more generic names than you wanted to believe.
          Which is a pointless statement to make as while it may (I haven't inventoried a fresh windows install to verify that) be true, There's plenty of stuff in the default install such as Powershell and Edge that aren't, but people using Windows aren't going to touch almost any of the generically named software, they'll use Windows Explorer, Edge for 5 minutes to download Chrome or Firefox, they might use the calculator, or fuss about with minesweeper or solitaire and that's about it, and meanwhile all the software they're going to be installing that they actually use is branded and has non-generic names.

3. I pointed out self-descriptive names in the post before the one you started rattling off programs. That's your fault for not paying attention.

Like TheBlackCat, you are failing to realize that I wasn't whining about generic names for KDE or Gnome, and, I don't really care about having stuff like a K in front.

Chill out and pay attention.
          You're the one that needs to pay attention to the conversation before you wade into it.

If Person A says: "X is true because I, J, and K"
          and Person B says: "I, J, and K, don't actually happen though"
          and you as Person C comes in and says "Well I does happen in this limited case"

Person C is defending Person A's argument in the flow of the conversation, and inherits their stance unless they differentiate their own opinion before doing so.

to put this another way:
          A: I->X, J->X, K->X
          B: ~I, ~J, ~k
          C: I

So assuming you mean X just flows from that.
          Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 09-13-2017, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
            You said it implicitly by attacking my argument rather than the one I was replying to, and then replying with:
            Actually, I never really attacked your [entire] argument, I just made a correction. Hence why you need to calm down. I don't disagree with you anywhere near as much as you want to believe, but you're letting your emotions get to you.
            Which is a pointless statement to make as while it may (I haven't inventoried a fresh windows install to verify that) be true, There's plenty of stuff in the default install such as Powershell and Edge that aren't, but people using Windows aren't going to touch almost any of the generically named software, they'll use Windows Explorer, Edge for 5 minutes to download Chrome or Firefox, they might use the calculator, or fuss about with minesweeper or solitaire and that's about it, and meanwhile all the software they're going to be installing that they actually use is branded and has non-generic names.
            It isn't a pointless statement, it is the reason I posted in the first place. You said:
            "...not Microsoft, not Apple, not Google, so expecting open source applications to take on generic names is even more ridiculous..."
            which implies you meant MS, Apple, and Google to not use generic names. But the fact of the matter is, they have, and they still do.

You criticize me of moving the goalpost (when I haven't), and you go on some irrelevant tangent about "people using Windows aren't going to touch almost any of the generically named software". I don't disagree, but that has nothing to do with what we're talking about. Good job, hypocrite.
            If Person A says: "X is true because I, J, and K"
            and Person B says: "I, J, and K, don't actually happen though"
            and you as Person C comes in and says "Well I does happen in this limited case"

Person C is defending Person A's argument in the flow of the conversation, and inherits their stance unless they differentiate their own opinion before doing so.
            How exactly do you go from "by disagreeing with me, you agree with him"? That's some pretty flawed logic right there. I never said I agree with person A. Using your scenario, let's use this example:
            Person A says "Chocolate is a terrible flavor"
            Person B says "You're wrong - everyone likes chocolate"
            Person C says "I know someone who hates chocolate"
            Using your crappy logic, what you're saying is person C agrees chocolate is a bad flavor. But no, in actuality, person C is just correcting person B's statement that everyone likes chocolate, which isn't true.
            Last edited by schmidtbag; 09-13-2017, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              It baffles me that the develpers don't understand that while "Writer" is pretty easy for english-speaking people to understand and figure out what it does, it's not so easy for people speaking other languages.
              IMO, Word processor or Rich text editor could've been simpler and easier to translate.
              Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              The main issue is that if you have more than 1 program per type then it becomes stupid. What is Text Editor 1? What is Text Editor 2?
              I prefer the way .desktop files resolve this:

1. There are separate "Name" (eg. Files) and "GenericName" (eg. Nautilus) keys, which allow the desktop the ability to autogenerate launcher names like "Files (Nautilus)" and "Files (Dolphin)".

2. Keys can be translated, so you can have something like this excerpt:

Name=LibreOffice Writer
              GenericName=Word Processor
              GenericName[fr]=Traitement de texte
              GenericName[ru]=Текстовый процессор
              Comment=Create and edit text and graphics in letters, reports, documents and Web pages by using Writer.
              Comment[fr]=Writer - Création et édition de textes et d'images pour courriers, rapports, documents et pages Web.
              Comment[ru]=Создание и редактирование текста и рисунков в письмах, отчётах, документах или веб-страницах.

This means that, as long as project names are sufficiently non-generic to avoid collisions (eg. Nautilus, Dolphin, KWhatever, GWhatever, etc.), the desktop defaults can pick something intuitive and, if you don't like it, you can change it for your desktop.

(I suspect it takes inspiration from the X11 WM_CLASS property, which is a (GenericName, Name) tuple. (eg. WM_CLASS(STRING) = "Mail", "Thunderbird")

Comment

Working...
              X