Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 21 Beta & Final Release Slip Further

Phoronix: Fedora 21 Beta & Final Release Slip Further

At the beginning of today I wrote how the Fedora 21 Beta was pushed back but just by one day. Now after another Go/No-Go meeting today, Fedora 21 beta and all subsequent deadlines have been pushed back by one week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Delay OS perhaps

Comment

Hopefully they'll release 21 before the end of the year. FWIW, December 17th is when Fedora 20 was released last year.

I'm currently debating whether I should switch my main personal system to Fedora 21 beta or openSUSE Tumbleweed once the merger is completed next month.
      I've never used SUSE before, but if I were to use Fedora beta I'd have to deal with their debug kernel, no rpmfusion 21 repo, having to convert the repositories to release once final is out, and updating 6 months later.

I was a big fan of Debian sid until a couple years ago, now it's just a mess. Arch is awesome and more stable than sid, but I hate having to spend so much time configuring everything. If openSUSE Factory (soon to be Tumbleweed) is as stable/maintained and up-to-date as it appears, I'll be very happy.

Comment

Could 2014 be the "Year without a Fedora? This and more on Action Phoronix 11!

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
        Hopefully they'll release 21 before the end of the year. FWIW, December 17th is when Fedora 20 was released last year...
        Thanks for the support. I'm sure the Fedora will be found soon, I made fliers after all.

I was a big fan of Debian sid until a couple years ago, now it's just a mess. Arch is awesome and more stable than sid, but I hate having to spend so much time configuring everything. If openSUSE Factory (soon to be Tumbleweed) is as stable/maintained and up-to-date as it appears, I'll be very happy.
        I guess you could just install ArchBang and then convert it to whatever desktop environment you want.

Comment

Hopefully they'll release 21 before the end of the year. FWIW, December 17th is when Fedora 20 was released last year.

I'm currently debating whether I should switch my main personal system to Fedora 21 beta or openSUSE Tumbleweed once the merger is completed next month.
          I've never used SUSE before, but if I were to use Fedora beta I'd have to deal with their debug kernel, no rpmfusion 21 repo, having to convert the repositories to release once final is out, and updating 6 months later.

Long time Fedora user, I've also been thinking about switching to openSUSE or Arch. So the question is, which one requires less work (setup, maintenance) from my side SUSE or Arch (Manjaro, Antergos or ArchBang?).

Comment

Speaking as an openSUSE user, it's really easy to set up
            basically follow this http://opensuse-guide.org/ and if there's some piece of software you want go to http://software.opensuse.org, type in the name and you'll get a one-click installer. If you want the latest KDE set up the repos through yast and then switch the packages over to the repo https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:KDE_repositories, similar for Xorg/Mesa/etc you can enable the pontestroy repo for, and you can choose any kernel you want off of software.opensuse.org I'm running 3.17.1 for example. I've thought about switching over to factory but my current setup works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: Fedora 21 Beta & Final Release Slip Further
              2 more slips and 2014 could be a year without Fedora release

Comment

To be fair, you only have to do anything to repos for rpmfusion because they don't follow normal Fedora branching policy. Or in other words Fedora 21 repos have existed pre-alpha and at this point even package signing is already done. You can trivially get a no-debug kernel even with Rawhide.

Comment

I cannot reallly speak for SUSE, but I use Fedora 21 as my main system since Alpha and it has been rock stable, debug is already turned off in the kernel so you won't get a performance hit, and rpmfusion already has a 21 branch.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
                    I cannot reallly speak for SUSE, but I use Fedora 21 as my main system since Alpha and it has been rock stable, debug is already turned off in the kernel so you won't get a performance hit, and rpmfusion already has a 21 branch.
                    According to Fedora website: "During development, the rawhide/branched kernel typically always have the debug options enabled. The only exception to this, is that there is a non-debug build done for every -rc rebase."
                    If there actually are non-debug stable kernels for F21 then that's great.

EDIT: Their wiki page could use work. They mention at the bottom of the page that only during pre-alpha branched is non-debug unavailable. After alpha they appear to build non-debug and then default to it during beta.

I had to dig through RPM Fusion to find their F21 packages (http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/...evelopment/21/). Usually they already have package lists up before final, just not advertised on the main page (e.g. http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/...iew/index.html and just replace 20 with 21). It looks like they've had support for F21 since at least 2013-12-18.
                    Last edited by Ouroboros; 25 October 2014, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X