Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Developer: OpenGL Has Issues, But Potential

Phoronix: Another Developer: OpenGL Has Issues, But Potential

After sharing the views of another developer this weekend about OpenGL being broken compared to Mantle and Direct3D, another game developer has come forward with his own "rant" that also says OpenGL has problems but it also has potential...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm glad that someone's actually addressing the social issues at play, here. For instance, if these game developers had only ever used an OpenGL renderer, then this DirectX thing came out of nowhere, I think there would be far more backlash.

Comment

I actually think that this is rant is good. It might stimulate more discussion from developers and could potentially snowball and attract Khronos' attention to the issues.

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
        I actually think that this is rant is good. It might stimulate more discussion from developers and could potentially snowball and attract Khronos' attention to the issues.
        Rants, by definition, almost never attract the original developers. See GNOME, Unity, Ubuntu, or even Windows…

Comment

OpenGL

Well OpenGL came first, but Microsoft was on their lock-in game and decided to make something new called DirectX that will lock Games to one Platform; theirs. Liking and using DirectX is the same as supporting the destruction of Linux, Mac and other OSes; since that's Microsoft's ultimate goal. I don't think people really understand that and decide the ignorance card is the best play.

Comment

Steam OS will solve this

real-world people "do not update their drivers."

I think Steam OS will solve this being a Debian based GNU/Linux distro it will have updated drivers updating automatically all the OS

As well Steam app for MS WOS can learn from Steam OS and help usersto have the latest graphic drivers, making Steam users not "real world people"

Comment

Don't know about the "has potential" thing. OpenGL has been around for a long time. By now, it either works or doesn't. If you're talking about potential in something that's been here for years and years, then I'd put it in the "doesn't work" bin.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                Rants, by definition, almost never attract the original developers. See GNOME, Unity, Ubuntu, or even Windows…
                actually, sometimes they do. look at gtk. it took serious bashing, but now they finally started going in the right direction. it depends on how balanced levels of egoism and realism developer that criticism is aimed at has. either there is fine balance or project will suffer in any case.
                - completely not willing to admit mistakes (GNOME) is bad since one can avoid good criticisms and ways to change it to better simply to self confirm that he is the smartest person in the room
                - completely dismissive is just as bad. if you listen left and right and go with whims, project completely loses focus and direction. worlds greatest example would probably be metal gear online. game was perfect, until they started listening to users who blamed game for their own lack of skill. that didn't bring new players, nor did those people stay (if you suck... you suck and nothing will help you) or new ones arrived. but, game was terminally poised with all kind of n00bishness which made lots of hard core players to stop playing. game went from perfect to downright stupid. it was completely destroyed by two comments "cod does this different..." (real answer should be: no shit, fps and tps are totally different. in tps you need awareness while in fps everyone lacks it since running with blinders does the trick there) and "i want some fairy to keep me safe, coz people are killing me" (real answer should be: game won't fix that, you suck).

Comment

Working...
                X