Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nano 8.0 Text Editor Released With Modern Bindings Option

Phoronix: Nano 8.0 Text Editor Released With Modern Bindings Option

Kicking off a new month of open-source releases is the release of the GNU Nano 8.0 text editor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't quite get why some distributions set this as a default editor. Just recently I noticed one of my Fedora systems opening up nano as $EDITOR. The system itself is huge, the reason can not possibly be <0.1% of disk space savings?

Comment

Very interesting. Not sure why, though, tbh. I only use it as a hot-fix editor in live systems (over SSH), so mouse support probably won't work without vnc
      I like how easily you can go to specific line directly from command line. I wonder how long it takes until Nano adds vim (-like) motions and plugin support..

Comment

Originally posted by npwx View Post
        I don't quite get why some distributions set this as a default editor. Just recently I noticed one of my Fedora systems opening up nano as $EDITOR. The system itself is huge, the reason can not possibly be <0.1% of disk space savings?
        because nano is simple. Everyone can use it. You do not need to learn it like emacs or have brain hemorrhage to enjoy, like vi(m). Exactly what you need for a small, simple edit job.

Comment

Nano serves its purpose and I have used plenty. But in cases where I have it available, for things where it works well I have become a Micro guy myself

Comment

Originally posted by npwx View Post
            Because it's more human-centric than other text editors. I can use vi, but I prefer nano any day.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Because it's more human-centric than other text editors. I can use vi, but I prefer nano any day.
              It's justabout what you learned. There is nothing intuitive about nano if you're somebody used to vim keybindings.

Navigating around with arrow keys and entering weird key combos to quit/save is how I experience it whenever I'm thrown into it. Very similar feeling to how somebody unfamiliar with vim bindings describes it when they get thrown into vim.

I'm using the commandline for a lot of my daily tasks and Nano feels weird to me.

Comment

I have been using nano quite a bit for coding in both C and PHP as well as other random stuff like 6510 assembly etc. It is by far my favorite editor. The 'modern' key bindings might take some time getting used to, but inn theory i am all for a uniform way of doing things. However at the same time I am thinking who the hell decided that Ctrl+C/V was sensible for copy paste. Ctrl+C are supposed to stop execution and Ctrl/shift+insert never hurted anybody anyway.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

just use vim in simpl*bang*

Comment

Originally posted by nadir View Post

It's justabout what you learned. There is nothing intuitive about nano if you're somebody used to vim keybindings.

Navigating around with arrow keys and entering weird key combos to quit/save is how I experience it whenever I'm thrown into it. Very similar feeling to how somebody unfamiliar with vim bindings describes it when they get thrown into vim.

I'm using the commandline for a lot of my daily tasks and Nano feels weird to me.
                    I don't doubt your experience, just amazed by it considering that the way nano operates is more like every other normal text editor out there while vim/emacs are the strangers. I mean being a vim user and then complaining that nano have some weird combo to quit, never thought I would ever hear a vim user make that claim ("htf do I close vim" must be one of the most googled items out there in the Unix-sphere).

Comment

Working...
                    X