Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Isn't Yet Recommending GNOME's VRR Option

Phoronix: Ubuntu Isn't Yet Recommending GNOME's VRR Option

While GNOME landed experimental Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) support in GNOME 46 that is used by the new Ubuntu 24.04 LTS release, Canonical isn't yet encouraging users to test out this option...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ubuntu: ships LTS with GNOME full of buggy features
    Also Ubuntu: KDE 6? Not on my watch.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

I have tested it on Fedora 40 myself. It flickers like hell, but it works ...

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
        So by your logic, one single feature that is even hidden from the GUI in Gnome 46 for obvious reason = Gnome full of buggy features?
        I've recently tried Gnome 46 and I can tell you that it's a solid release. Even the initial 46.0 release. And no, Plasma 6.0 is still too buggy for an Ubuntu LTS release. Haven't you seen the amount of new bugs with this release? I suggest you watch Brodie Robertson's stream where he tests Plasma 6 and see the random freezes he experiences when doing simple stuff.

Besides, KDE's VRR implementation still has issues too.

And if you desperately want Plasma 6 on 24.04, some Kubuntu dev has recently said it will eventually ship with Kubuntu backports PPA. By that time, it will probably be some newer future version of Plasma 6 with even more fixed bugs.
        Last edited by user1; 29 April 2024, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
          VRR is experimental (for every Gnome-based distro) and is not part of Ubuntu's advertised GNOME feature set. So there is no bug here.

KDE 6 is not LTS-ready and it's even not in Debian, so it cannot be in Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

Besides, KDE's VRR implementation is still has issues too.
            Its funny how some KDE proponents pretend that KDE is so far ahead of gnome on these things.

It reminds me of an occasion last year when someone wanted to check out the major fractional scaling improvements that some had been talking about as if they were default in KDE. it was found they would only be included in Qt6 apps, so they have become available on kde like a month before gtk stable release was made that also enabled fractional scaling (after implementing the feature a year earlier).

Saying that though, its good to see these features in both desktops, as it can then be considered more standard.

Comment

...obviously if it is experimental it is not recommended, what is there in the word experimental that is not clear?
              Did we need a post for this?​

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

Its funny how some KDE proponents pretend that KDE is so far ahead of gnome on these things.

It reminds me of an occasion last year when someone wanted to check out the major fractional scaling improvements that some had been talking about as if they were default in KDE. it was found they would only be included in Qt6 apps, so they have become available on kde like a month before gtk stable release was made that also enabled fractional scaling (after implementing the feature a year earlier).

Saying that though, its good to see these features in both desktops, as it can then be considered more standard.
                For me it's the extension system people continuously complain about. I've had a much more stable experience with Gnome extensions than with Plasma/kwin plugins. Not saying that either is perfect, just that I expected more from Plasma after reading people complaining about Gnome for years and years.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
                  And if you desperately want Plasma 6 on 24.04, I've seen some Kubuntu dev has recently said it will eventually ship with Kubuntu backports PPA.
                  Ubuntu has too old Qt for Plasma 6 to work correctly. If they patch it somehow and force it to run on older version, the experience will be buggy, like with 5.27 on Ubuntu 22.04 (that was notorious for crashing lock screen, with no way to fix)

Comment

I wish they would fix: #3296 because you honestly can not work on displays with different scaling. I have a 14" 4k and a 27" 1080P at work I would need different scaling.

Comment

Working...
                    X