GNOME's Mutter Lands DRM Sync Obj v1 Support For Explicit Sync On Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's Mutter Lands DRM Sync Obj v1 Support For Explicit Sync On Wayland

Phoronix: GNOME's Mutter Lands DRM Sync Obj v1 Support For Explicit Sync On Wayland

Merged on Thursday to GNOME's Mutter compositor is support for the linux-drm-syncobj-v1 Wayland protocol that is used to handle the global migration to explicit synchronization...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So happy that is finally starting to land for the betterment of everyone, regardless of who they are

Comment

Anybody knows wlroots' status on this one?

Comment

Originally posted by nadir View Post
        Anybody knows wlroots' status on this one?
        I think it is these two:

So, in progress for now.

Comment

Some heavy weight applications doing a huge amount of work seems to load their stuff at Update(Delta time) which somehow seems to broke GNOME and their ideal world of responsiveness and realtime Linux and if this wonderful settings is turned off, something weird freeze will occur . Why should application window update at each 5 seconds timeout when nothing happens . Thats 5seconds * 144(60,...) frames = some nice computation and GNOME seems alone
          Last edited by elbar; 29 March 2024, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
            So happy that is finally starting to land for the betterment of everyone, regardless of who they are
            Everyone? Linux is just 2% of desktop users. Wayland is less than that. And then how many Wayland compositors are getting it? And how soon?

I'm not excited about anything Wayland related unless the huge fragmentation issue is solved.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

Everyone? Linux is just 2% of desktop users. Wayland is less than that. And then how many Wayland compositors are getting it? And how soon?

I'm not excited about anything Wayland related unless the huge fragmentation issue is solved.
              ChromeOS is also Wayland these days, there's the Steam Deck - and there are lots of embedded users, including in car entertainment systems etc.
              Last edited by treba; 29 March 2024, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by elbar View Post
                Some heavy weight applications doing a huge amount of work seems to load their stuff at Update(Delta time) which somehow seems to broke GNOME and their ideal world of responsiveness and realtime Linux and if this wonderful settings is turned off, something weird freeze will occur . Why should application window update at each 5 seconds timeout when nothing happens . Thats 5seconds * 144(60,...) frames = some nice computation and GNOME seems alone
                What are you even talking about lol

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

Better late than never. Linux market share is maybe even 3% or more and it will keep growing. I'd also love to have common implementation between KDE and Gnome.

Comment

after 12-13 years the very basic functionality of modern graphics infrastructure got merged. I hope I won't have to wait long for explicit sync for present/xwayland that nvidia is working on in open source stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X