No announcement yet.

Blender 4.1 Released With Faster Linux CPU Rendering & AMD RDNA3 APU Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blender 4.1 Released With Faster Linux CPU Rendering & AMD RDNA3 APU Support

Phoronix: Blender 4.1 Released With Faster Linux CPU Rendering & AMD RDNA3 APU Support

Blender 4.1 is officially out today as the newest version of this wildly popular, open-source and cross-platform 3D modeling software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I love amd but, while Nvidia, intel and apple provide denoising support, amd provides... Basic support on their customer hardware??

Comment

RDNA3 support ... great !
      But mesa support or proprietary drivers ?
      Last edited by TNZfr; 27 March 2024, 02:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
        I love amd but, while Nvidia, intel and apple provide denoising support, amd provides... Basic support on their customer hardware??
        According to https://www.openimagedenoise.org/ it should work on AMD. Not sure if Blender has to do anything extra or if they just forgot to mention AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by TNZfr View Post
          But mesa support or proprietary druvers ?
          What proprietary drivers?

Comment

ROCM for Cycles with HIP on GPU

Mesa for Eevee (opengl/vulkan)

Comment

Originally posted by Grinness View Post

ROCM for Cycles with HIP on GPU

Mesa for Eevee (opengl/vulkan)
              Link to Eevee?

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing1 View Post

Link to Eevee?
                Here is the link to the docs on Eevee (uses OpenGL). Ships with Blender.

Then there is Eevee-next (uses Vulkan) which you can try out by running the dev/daily builds of Blender.
                Status of which can be found here. It is still a bit of a work in progress but they are aiming for a Blender 4.2 release.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
                  Was curious why (since it worked in daily builds before with HIP devices) and found this related issue.
                  Seems like it comes down to OIDN itself (which is owned by intel), when an AMD APU with older drivers is present it was loading in HIP drivers even when using an Nvidia GPU resulting in a crash (so AMD themselves had little to do with it).

OIDN support for HIP GPUs might be added with Blender 4.1.1 (so about 4 weeks after the current release).

Comment

For AMD RDNA3 APU?!? What about DESKTOP GPUS?

Looking forward to this - my guess is that AMD RDNA 3 gpus suck once again.... But, yeah, I hope it's soon - I think they're barely good enough at video editing - so I'm just waiting to see how RDNA 3 gpus do with most recent Blender versions - hey, HIP-RT is open source now so it should be fully implemented and optimized for these benchmarks, right?

Comment

Working...
                    X