Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SysVinit 3.09 Now Allows Building With musl C Library, Passing Boot Messages To Firmware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SysVinit 3.09 Now Allows Building With musl C Library, Passing Boot Messages To Firmware

Phoronix: SysVinit 3.09 Now Allows Building With musl C Library, Passing Boot Messages To Firmware

While most Linux distributions have long since moved on from SysVinit in favor of systemd for init duties, this weekend SysVinit 3.09 was released for any legacy users and holdouts still enjoying the System V-init style experience...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What? System V didn't use glibc, so how come it is incompatible with musl?

Oh no, flamewar incoming...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I imagine its this one line commit

musl has removed the non-prototype declaration of basename from string.h [1] which now results in build errors with clang-17+ compiler include libgen.h for using the posix declaration of the funcit...

So it's fixing a clangism/muslism

Comment

I wonder if there is a list of "more modern" init systems. I've seen a couple but they all seem oriented for container based workloads. I realize "more modern" is a bit hard to quantify, but im not sure how to better put it

Comment

Today I learned SysVinit is still at least somewhat maintained, I just assumed that the non-systemd people used stuff like OpenRC, runit or s6 instead of the OG SysVinit these days lol.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

"sysv"init does not actually come from System V, it is a Linux-only reimplementation.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
              I wonder if there is a list of "more modern" init systems. I've seen a couple but they all seem oriented for container based workloads. I realize "more modern" is a bit hard to quantify, but im not sure how to better put it
              Yes, that list exists and is as follows (for Linux):
              • systemd

Comment

Originally posted by X_m7 View Post
                Today I learned SysVinit is still at least somewhat maintained, I just assumed that the non-systemd people used stuff like OpenRC, runit or s6 instead of the OG SysVinit these days lol.
                OpenRC is built on top of SysVinit, mostly shell scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post

• systemd
                  sadly I would like one that isnt garbage xD I've been looking into dinit and it seems quite promissing, havent tested it out yet though

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post

• systemd
                    lmao, kibda true actually if the others init systems ditched the bash script to something like what systemd do, but differently enough for speed comparstions etc, it could be interesting

Comment

Working...
                    X