Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PipeWire 0.3.80 Released With Vulkan DMA-BUF Support, Tag Param

Phoronix: PipeWire 0.3.80 Released With Vulkan DMA-BUF Support, Tag Param

Red Hat multimedia expert Wim Taymans has released PipeWire 0.3.80 as the newest version of this open-source solution for efficiently handling video and audio streams on the Linux desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

PipeWire's echo cancelling code was also ported over to the WebRTC audio processing code
    That's not true: it was already using webrtc-audio-processing: they simply moved from the 0.3 branch to the 1.x one.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I didnt even know pipewire had echo canceling, Will have to figure this out since I would quite like to use it

Comment

Sometimes I forget that PipeWire also does video, even though that was its initial focus.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
          Sometimes I forget that PipeWire also does video, even though that was its initial focus.
          Pipewire is cool and all, but not having support for it via ffmpeg for cli is kind of really painful. unless you write a full program around it, it's not great for using even gstreamer can use it more or less directly, but some things like screen recording still need a script to set it up. Really missing being able to do desktop recording right from ffmpeg.

Comment

pipewire still being at a zero-point release is really funny.
            ever since i started using it, pretty much all audio/headphone/bt related problems went away.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
              ever since i started using it, pretty much all audio/headphone/bt related problems went away.
              Wayland developers could take a lesson or two from PipeWire developers. Ah, no, never going to happen.

The vast majority of people haven't even noticed that PA has been replaced with PW. That's how seamless it was.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
                2 releases ago there was a bug with my sony wh-1000xm5, if I will enable mic on a headphones I wouldn't be able to switch to a high fidelity sound back. If I will open discord and wanted to use mic on my laptop it still dropped to low quality sound. It was quickly fixes tho.

Also for those who are on ubuntu you can use latest pipewire using this ppa https://pipewire-debian.github.io/pipewire-debian/

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

Wayland developers could take a lesson or two from PipeWire developers. Ah, no, never going to happen.

The vast majority of people haven't even noticed that PA has been replaced with PW. That's how seamless it was.
                  Birdie, stop making ever topic about the same things. Seriously. Stfu

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

Too much optimistic, are you? So I had my chance to compare PA vs PW.
                    PW by design is very, very sensitive to the resource blocking. It was never a case for PA. But PW wants everything ASAP. Requires the layers of trickery to feed its data pre-backed ASAP. Very demanding! It cracks and stalls because of whatever activity happen. It deliberately refused to use the existed ALSA interrupts because it simulate its own by POLLing the devices in a hope for variable interrupt emulation. USB devices does not like it. ALSA does not really like it too.

I had to change my main player and had to rewrite the PW native plugin for it by addition of trickery and tuning. And only then it play nice. Do PW works? Yeah... kind of. Seamless? Absolutely not.
                    Last edited by SilverBird775; 14 September 2023, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X