Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xf86-video-ati 22.0 Released For Older ATI/AMD GPUs

Phoronix: xf86-video-ati 22.0 Released For Older ATI/AMD GPUs

The xf86-video-ati 22.0 driver has been released as a rare update to this X.Org DDX driver used by older pre-GCN ATI/AMD Radeon graphics cards...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You would have thought they'd have called it 23.0 eh?

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

I still have one of these in use. The Gigabyte 3870 was + is a great card.

Comment

I occasionally use some slightly dated Radeons on purpose-bound machines, very good, works with Linux and (the models I use) have low power uptake; some are onboard HD3300s and the likes. So this is very welcome.
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
            I occasionally use some slightly dated Radeons on purpose-bound machines, very good, works with Linux and (the models I use) have low power uptake; some are onboard HD3300s and the likes. So this is very welcome.
            Yes, these machines are still pretty good, totally usable. I was quite impressed how smooth the HD3200 works in wayland DE and web browsing. It feels just as good as any modern PC. Switching back to X11 feels laggish though. So the later ATI cards should at least survive in case of xf86-video-ati retirement. Overall the machines of the era is an optimal blend of modern and retro. With an addition of modern video card from AMD they can even handle up to date gaming. Perfect PCI compatibility allows to use the PCI cards in their optimum. Glitchless and polished user experience just adds up to the comfort.

Comment

Yeah absouletly, I also have such a card layout around. For normal linux desktop usage or even Wayland, really cool option with small power draw

Comment

Nice. And screw any Wayland fanbois before they try and put their wonderful input into this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                  Nice. And screw any Wayland fanbois before they try and put their wonderful input into this thread.
                  X11 has terrible performance on those old GPUs, and I'm telling you as an user of a old ATI iGPU.

Comment

Originally posted by Nozo View Post
                    X11 has terrible performance on those old GPUs, and I'm telling you as an user of a old ATI iGPU.
                    Too late, you were screwed before you posted. That's how it works.
                    Also IDK, I never had an issue with em, but I never ran compiz on onboard graphics that I can remember.

Comment

Working...
                    X