Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Improving Its Multi-GPU Infrastructure For Intel & AMD GPUs

Phoronix: KDE Improving Its Multi-GPU Infrastructure For Intel & AMD GPUs

Plasma 6.0 development continues happening at full-speed and exciting this week were landing of some improvements around KWin's multi-GPU infrastructure to benefit Intel and AMD Radeon graphics...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    - Restored support for using screen refresh rates higher than 60Hz with AMD GPUs.
    Sorry, what? I'm on Fedora with Plasma 5.27.4, I can still set refresh rate to 300Hz using RX 6800M; am I missing something here? Is it not being set to higher refresh rate despite what it says?

Comment

I’m looking forward to plasma 6 but a constantly looming issue for me is SDDMs persistent dev hell. I don’t understand why KDE can’t have their own login manager, or simply fork it.

Comment

Considering I've been using prime since the r600 days on KDE, I'm a bit confused as to what they're improving

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
          I’m looking forward to plasma 6 but a constantly looming issue for me is SDDMs persistent dev hell. I don’t understand why KDE can’t have their own login manager, or simply fork it.
          I feel like we're relying on a dead (or almost dead) project. They seem to have forgotten the release early and release often mantra

Comment

in terms of mullti gpu:

i was on ubuntu here, but it seems was never able to get nvidia + intel display output at same time. (after bios or grub). so i wonder if this update improves that anything... although it is a moot point for me atm. having sold my nvidia gpu cannot go back to re-test over again. however still would be nice if it can help for others in similar predicaments. but most of all it just seemed weird, like could not find any clear answers out there. for how to know / what situations it does and does not work under / what are the necessary configuration steps to designate which card as the primary one etc. such things like that. i suppose usually arch wiki is the most helpful place. to dig deeper on similar topics. same for edid handling, and other matters around boot process, driver bring up / hand off

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
              Considering I've been using prime since the r600 days on KDE, I'm a bit confused as to what they're improving
              Nvidia.

It can't be stated outright because it causes flamewars.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                This is meant to improve performance (and therefore power usage) on laptops with discrete gpus by removing a cpu copy from the display path.

I believe enabling this for nvidia is actually not done yet, but will be coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Finity View Post

Sorry, what? I'm on Fedora with Plasma 5.27.4, I can still set refresh rate to 300Hz using RX 6800M; am I missing something here? Is it not being set to higher refresh rate despite what it says?
                  Same here: I'm on 5.27.4 on openSUSE Tumbleweed and it's set to 75 Hz on Wayland for me using a 5900HX. And I can definitely tell the difference between 60 and 75 when I test it, so it's working.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
                    Yes, they should either fork it or team up with LXQt on LXDM.

Comment

Working...
                    X