Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 530.30.02 Linux Beta Driver Released

Phoronix: NVIDIA 530.30.02 Linux Beta Driver Released

NVIDIA today released their first beta driver in the R530 driver series for Linux users...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Changed the compression format of the .run installer package from xz to zstd. This results in a smaller compressed package, and faster decompression performance. A fallback zstd decompressor is embedded into the installer package for systems which do not already have a zstd decompression program installed.
    Yours truly pestered them about that for months Now the self installing driver package will unpack at the very least ten times faster (it became quite slow/time consuming recently - downloading took less time than unpacking it).

I'm not sure about a smaller package though - XZ compresses better.

Meanwhile in their newly released today's Windows driver NVIDIA has made available the RTX Video Super Resolution technology (review, FAQ) which is highly unlikely to find its way to Linux.

Added compatibility for Linux kernels with Indirect Branch Tracking (IBT).
    That was a source of pain for many users.
    Last edited by avis; 28 February 2023, 11:51 AM.

Comment

On 28 February 2023, my operating system named as Neon is still not able to run Wayland mode freezing in flashing green due to both Nvidia and linux software inability to interact.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
        On 28 February 2023, my operating system named as Neon is still not able to run Wayland mode freezing in flashing green due to both Nvidia and linux software inability to interact.
        I sold my old notebook with nvidia card, added some money and bought new laptop with AMD+Radeon, if you are struggling you can vote with your wallet plus get a relief finally.

Comment

Originally posted by pharmasolin View Post

I sold my old notebook with nvidia card, added some money and bought new laptop with AMD+Radeon, if you are struggling you can vote with your wallet plus get a relief finally.
          You could also run a supported OS, you know. The one with windows, what was it called, Windows 11? Yeah, that one.

Comment

can anybody here explain what the IBT thing is please? many thanks

[edit]

to be clear: what has cpu instruction predictions got to do with nvidia / gpus / the nvidia drivers? there is some new unwanted symptom since the feature was added in the kernel? is it stuttering or something else?
            Last edited by dreamcat4; 28 February 2023, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamcat4 View Post
              can anybody here explain what the IBT thing is please? many thanks

[edit]

to be clear: what has cpu instruction predictions got to do with nvidia / gpus / the nvidia drivers? there is some new unwanted symptom since the feature was added in the kernel? is it stuttering or something else?

Maybe this can help. It seems this bug is finally fixed and the work around is no longer needed. I was not effected by this so I do not know much about it.

Comment

I think that Linux Oses should switch to Vulkan render soon as possible. What happen to legacy hardware? It simply occurs to preserve legacy Oses for legacy hardware mainlining with patches. Vulkan supports explicit sync, needed to integrate Nvidia drivers in order to make them compliant to Wayland. Once Vulkan is the default render of the 2 major linux graphic desktop oses projects which are Gnome and Plasma, it would be fine to apply Wayland natively excluding Xorg, so to get the benefit to manage one only graphical stack.

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
                  I think that Linux Oses should switch to Vulkan render soon as possible. What happen to legacy hardware? It simply occurs to preserve legacy Oses for legacy hardware mainlining with patches. Vulkan supports explicit sync, needed to integrate Nvidia drivers in order to make them compliant to Wayland. Once Vulkan is the default render of the 2 major linux graphic desktop oses projects which are Gnome and Plasma, it would be fine to apply Wayland natively excluding Xorg, so to get the benefit to manage one only graphical stack.
                  On top of that Vulkan actually solves tons of issues for open source Vulkan developers because implementing explicit sync (user mode) in implicit sync (Wayland world) and after back to explicit sync internally in drivers is pain in ass.

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post

On top of that Vulkan actually solves tons of issues for open source Vulkan developers because implementing explicit sync (user mode) in implicit sync (Wayland world) and after back to explicit sync internally in drivers is pain in ass.
                    Wayland is not able to manage explicit sync?
                    Last edited by MorrisS.; 01 March 2023, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X