Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• systemd's Growth Over 2022

Phoronix: systemd's Growth Over 2022

With the end of the year upon us, it's interesting and fun running GitStats on various prominent open-source projects and looking at some of the key growth metrics over the past year. Here is a look at how systemd's Git activity has paced in 2022 compared to years prior...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

1,7MLOC. That's a helluva init process. How much memory does this PID 1 use already?

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
      1,7MLOC. That's a helluva init process. How much memory does this PID 1 use already?
      VmRSS memory states 13880 kB on my current machine

Comment

1,7MLOC. That's a helluva init process.
        It's so much more than an init process and made it possible to remove tons of often badly maintained and duplicated code in many projects.

How much memory does this PID 1 use already?
        Not enough to out-weight the benefits even when running hundreds of lightweight containers.

@ topic: Awesome to see lots of activity. I'm personally especially looking forward to see better homed integration in DEs so we can finally have encrypted home folders during suspend.

Comment

Yes! The more the faster it grows, the sooner it can consume … everything!

3300K private mem and 9800K shared mem for PID1 after 3.5 days of uptime for me btw.

Comment

Originally posted by vohcjdwd
            The "1.7M lines of code" figure is completely bogus. I don't know what tool is being used to give this total, but it's very broken.

Imagine if Michael actually put some effort into verifying his claims, instead of just spamming low quality, copy-paste articles. 😅
            I imagine that lines of code in this case is "number of committed lines"

A clean clone seems to look more like this at the moment;
            Code:
            ​systemd $ cloc .
            ​Language files blank  comment code
            ​SUM:     3166  194498 73557   731343
            ​systemd $ cloc src
            ​Language files blank  comment code
            ...​
            SUM:     2338  156630 53081   555721​

Comment

Originally posted by vohcjdwd

The src/ directory is about 500K lines and contains wayyyy more than just the init process. Got any more low IQ comments?
              I'm working on it

Comment

Obvious ragebait is obvious.

So naturally I'm waiting to see who bites.

Comment

systemd is not just init process. It has an init process, and 68 other binaries. The vast majority of that code had nothing to do with init.

Comment

Originally posted by paulpach View Post
                    systemd is not just init process. It has an init process, and 68 other binaries. The vast majority of that code had nothing to do with init.
                    Please refrain from making factual statements.

Comment

Working...
                    X