VirtGPU DRM Native Contexts Show Potential For Good VM Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VirtGPU DRM Native Contexts Show Potential For Good VM Gaming Performance

Phoronix: VirtGPU DRM Native Contexts Show Potential For Good VM Gaming Performance

At last week's XDC 2022 conference, Google engineer Rob Clark presented on VirtGPU DRM Native Contexts and the potential there for much better performance - especially for gaming - within virtual machines than using API-level virtualization like with Virgl...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very excited for this, actually looking to find a compatible device when I manage to save up some money, wont be for a while though

Comment

Looks cool, but VirDX doesn't exist...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        Looks cool, but VirDX doesn't exist...
        Virglrenderer->Zink->DXVK

Pretty soon we'll have so many layers we'll resemble some geologists' core sample.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Pretty soon we'll have so many layers we'll resemble some geologists' core sample.
          Oh we are already there! Pretty much any block diagram of a VM setup looks like a cross section of earth with all the layers labeled!

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I would ideally just like to see a software d3d12umd that converts calls to vulkan, then just see venus support in windows

Comment

So watching the video all this seems to be about getting Chrome OS to work... I have not had time yet to watch the full presentation so maybe he covers this, but as awesome as getting chrome OS to do this is, does it work with Windows? Specifically can I use something like SolidWorks or Revit with this? And of course will it work with gaming...

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
                So watching the video all this seems to be about getting Chrome OS to work... I have not had time yet to watch the full presentation so maybe he covers this, but as awesome as getting chrome OS to do this is, does it work with Windows? Specifically can I use something like SolidWorks or Revit with this? And of course will it work with gaming...
                I would doubt it.

Comment

Nice to see some progress on this front - twice in one day, no less!

I wonder if this is related to Stadia's demise.

If they ever get this working, nvidia at a minimum will fight it tooth and nail. There's a LOT of money to be made from VGPU customers. The only way this would fly with them would be if it had artificial limitations along the lines of a single client essentially doing dynamic binding to the GPU with handoff, i.e. no concurrent usage.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                    I would doubt it.
                    It absolutely *should*. Whether it *does* or not is a lot more open to question, but in the abstract this should be close enough to native that you wouldn't even need to step up a tier to get the "right" level of performance.

Comment

Working...
                    X