No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Proprietary Driver Causes Last Minute Headache For Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Proprietary Driver Causes Last Minute Headache For Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS

Phoronix: NVIDIA Proprietary Driver Causes Last Minute Headache For Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS

Earlier this month Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS was delayed by one week due to an OEM install bug leading to broken Snaps support. Now with Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS the Canonical developers are racing down to a last-minute rebuild of images over a NVIDIA proprietary driver issue...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For those curious about which GPUs are affected: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/unix/legacy-gpu/

Comment

January a Canonical engineer had dropped the NVIDIA 390 series driver support at the time on the basis of:
      Drop nvidia 390 that is really old and it doesn't build anymore with linux 5.15.

So the Canonical engineer is too lazy to fix it!
      Fedora 390xx supports 5.19 kernel.

Comment

It will be a good day when that proprietary driver is a thing of the past just like FGLRX on the ATI / AMD side!

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
          It will be a good day when that proprietary driver is a thing of the past just like FGLRX on the ATI / AMD side!
          I'm waiting for that day too. When it comes to GPU drivers, non DRM out of tree kernel modules are basically the same as theoretically not using WDDM for your graphics drivers on Windows. If that was the case on Windows, then I'm sure that non WDDM driver would've been causing more issues as well. But that scenario is impossible on Windows because MS would not allow it to happen.
          Last edited by user1; 31 August 2022, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Earlier this month Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS was delayed by one week due to an OEM install bug leading to broken Snaps support.​
            This Bug might be really a feature. It disables Snaps!

Comment

I'm a little curious what specifically was so different about this kernel where that driver finally(?) broke.

In any case, isn't Nouveau a pretty decent replacement to these drivers? I thought it was possible to get reclocking working on several of them.

Comment

Next time I'm buying AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
                  I like open source as much as the next guy, but these drivers support cards launched 12 years ago. Back then, AMD was offering the HD 6000 series. Which Linux driver supports those today?
                  Last edited by bug77; 31 August 2022, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post

In any case, isn't Nouveau a pretty decent replacement to these drivers? I thought it was possible to get reclocking working on several of them.
                    Reclocking is only one part of the equation, my GTX 960M (Maxwell 1, equivalent to a GTX 750 Ti on desktop) supports reclocking with Nouveau but that only makes it 2x faster than my integrated Intel HD 530 at best last I tried it, and at worst it was only like 20% faster, and that's assuming stuff even works properly to begin with. And I'm actually fortunate there in that I don't have to run the whole DE on Nouveau too since I can have my integrated GPU handle that.

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I like open source as much as the next guy, but these drivers support cards launched 12 years ago. Back then, AMD was offering the HD 6000 series. Which Linux driver supports those today?
                    That would be the r600g driver, it was even featured in an article here like a week or two ago when it got some fixes for the NIR backend it now has, hell even r300g (the driver for the DX9 Radeon GPUs, from the Radeon 9500+ from 2002 up to the X1000 series from 2005) got featured here a few days ago after having some extra optimisations thrown in.

Comment

Working...
                    X