Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 7.14 Released With More Improvements, 19 Bug Fixes

Phoronix: Wine 7.14 Released With More Improvements, 19 Bug Fixes

Wine 7.14 has been released as the newest bi-weekly development release of this open-source software that allows running Windows games and applications on Linux, macOS, and other platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Holy poop.... An actual Roblox fix... The gods are smiling on me today!

Comment

I would like to see Wine packaged with Snap or Flatpak.

Will Wine still be useable with less Windows applications relying on the old Win32 API and now relying on other APIs such as WinUI, XAML, UWP, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Dunno about snap but Wine is already packaged as a runtime in Flatpak. It can be used through apps like Bottle Flatpak.
        Last edited by Vermilion; 30 July 2022, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Will Wine still be useable with less Windows applications relying on the old Win32 API and now relying on other APIs such as WinUI, XAML, UWP, etc?
          Don't worry, Windows apps developers don't use those. In fact, all the three technologies, you named, are dead and after many programmers burned on them, they don't believe MS anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermilion View Post
            Dunno about snap but Wine is already packaged as a runtime in Flatpak. It can be used through apps like Bottle Flatpak.
            That more was packaged than is. Wine is not the simplest thing to keep packaged.

https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.winehq.Wine Yes this link is dead because no updated releases.

The bottles has a stack of custom built/patched versions of wine does not provide any classed as not modified yes their vaniglia is the staging branch. Bottles provides their own tar.xz files called runners https://github.com/bottlesdevs/compo...n/runners/wine the list. This is using wine means to run from the build directory without being installed.

Wine is also a devil of program that you can run configure spit out a stack of warning and build and the result be program that cannot run anything at the worst. Yes incorrectly built wine can be the cause of user having something that fails that works for everyone else.

Wine should get simpler to package at some point with the hangover stuff getting more mainline so needing less 32 bit dependencies in the 64 bit package.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
              https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.winehq.Wine Yes this link is dead because no updated releases.
              That link is not dead, rather it never existed. Dependencies and runtimes don't show up on Flathub store.

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
              The bottles has a stack of custom built/patched versions of wine does not provide any classed as not modified yes their vaniglia is the staging branch. Bottles provides their own tar.xz files [...]
              Bottles allows you to use the flatpaked wine without any additional runners. You just select sys-wine-7.0 as the runner in config.
              Last edited by Vermilion; 30 July 2022, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Man I wish things like Frosty's Mod Manager could be made to work with wine. (it loads but can't mount/launch things)

Comment

Originally posted by Vermilion View Post

Yeah, I know about the Wine runtime, but I was thinking more of Wine itself. I would love to see it packaged as a Flatpak or Snap because it has so many dependencies, and because of security because then maybe it can be sandboxed.

Originally posted by Ladis View Post

Don't worry, Windows apps developers don't use those. In fact, all the three technologies, you named, are dead and after many programmers burned on them, they don't believe MS anymore.
                  Well also other Microsoft technology such as MAUI and Blazor.

Comment

Working...
                  X