Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 515.49.06 Linux Vulkan Beta Driver Released

Phoronix: NVIDIA 515.49.06 Linux Vulkan Beta Driver Released

For those enjoying some Linux gaming over the US holiday weekend, NVIDIA issued a rare Saturday driver update in the form of new Vulkan driver betas for Windows and Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So....this beta driver is built upon a new wip release of the open nvidia driver source?

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
      So....this beta driver is built upon a new wip release of the open nvidia driver source?
      Only the kernel driver is open source. Not userspace (OpenGL, Vulkan, CUDA, etc).

Kernel driver for this can be found here: https://github.com/NVIDIA/open-gpu-k...tree/515.49.06

Comment

Why are the nvidia driver's updates generally available in the repositories after 1 month at least?

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
          Why are the nvidia driver's updates generally available in the repositories after 1 month at least?
          May want to clarify what you mean, NVIDIA's repo was updated at the same time.

Comment

Which repositories? Your distribution's? Nvidia's? Some PPA or RPM site?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Which repositories? Your distribution's? Nvidia's? Some PPA or RPM site?
              distribution as ubuntu

Comment

distribution as ubuntu
                That's just how Ubuntu is. They're slower and more conservative with updates. It has been a while since I ran Ubuntu so I don't know if they have a bleeding edge NVIDIA PPA or if you have to install it manually to get faster updates.

Comment

That's just how Ubuntu is. They're slower and more conservative with updates. It has been a while since I ran Ubuntu so I don't know if they have a bleeding edge NVIDIA PPA or if you have to install it manually to get faster updates.
                  Generally I wait for the update in the repository because the installation from run file asks for many modifications risking to break the system at least in the past. So I avoid the run file from the official nvidia site. Obviously, if I installed the run file would not talk about the updated from repositories.

Comment

use proprietary drivers ppa, no problems in last years, other solution is installing cuda from nvida ubuntu repo, simply search that in google(only for lts), ubuntu only upgrades their nvidia drivers after testing in ppa, then in testing repo, then come to stable one and i think is a good ideia since in the past nvidia drivers break the system often, even worst with optimus systems.

Comment

Working...
                    X