NVIDIA 515.49.06 Linux Vulkan Beta Driver Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barley9432 View Post

Only the kernel driver is open source. Not userspace (OpenGL, Vulkan, CUDA, etc).

Kernel driver for this can be found here: https://github.com/NVIDIA/open-gpu-k...tree/515.49.06
    That's what I meant. The new open kernel driver codebase.

As opposed to this running on the closed source module backend.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

That's just how Ubuntu is. They're slower and more conservative with updates. It has been a while since I ran Ubuntu so I don't know if they have a bleeding edge NVIDIA PPA or if you have to install it manually to get faster updates.
      There is a PPA (https://launchpad.net/~graphics-driv...ive/ubuntu/ppa), but people shouldn't expect that to be immediately in sync with day-0. I suspect the 2 or 3 packagers allow a short window for people using the official nVidia installer to report any new issues with it first and/or work on it at their own pace as time allows. I can't blame them for not rushing to push something out which can cause big problems if done wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by 3vi1 View Post

There is a PPA (https://launchpad.net/~graphics-driv...ive/ubuntu/ppa), but people shouldn't expect that to be immediately in sync with day-0. I suspect the 2 or 3 packagers allow a short window for people using the official nVidia installer to report any new issues with it first and/or work on it at their own pace as time allows. I can't blame them for not rushing to push something out which can cause big problems if done wrong.
        That's the official Ubuntu PPA and what you get when you install the Nvidia driver from the Ubuntu GUI. Based on their history they seem to lag a month behind Nvidia. I don't know if anything faster than that exists outside of manually installing the driver yourself.

While I didn't mention it yesterday, I did find it interesting that on that page they have a Help Wanted to get Mesa updates out there for AMD and Intel GPU users as well as they promote the Phoronix Test Suite with a series of test to run to benchmark your system for graphics/gaming. Michael, you might find that last part interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

That's the official Ubuntu PPA and what you get when you install the Nvidia driver from the Ubuntu GUI.
          No, it's not (unless they've changed the GUI and I'm just unaware). When you install from the GUI you get the versions hosted in the multiverse repositories of the standard Ubuntu repos. You specifically have to add the Graphics Drivers teams PPA to use it. Every so often they sync the standard repos to the PPA, but when/if they do it is dependent on all kinds of things such as if where they're at in the release cycle and if the new version is a point release that's going to overwrite/update existing installs.

Coincidentally I did just try to run PTS to help them out... but it crashed on like the second Xonotic run after Valley and left my system in a low-rez huge-pointer-on-black-screen one-monitor-shut-off state that necessitated restarting SDDM. No problems in any actual games. C'est la vie.
          Last edited by 3vi1; 04 July 2022, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 3vi1 View Post

No, it's not (unless they've changed the GUI and I'm just unaware). When you install from the GUI you get the versions hosted in the multiverse repositories of the standard Ubuntu repos. You specifically have to add the Graphics Drivers teams PPA to use it. Every so often they sync the standard repos to the PPA, but when/if they do it is dependent on all kinds of things such as if where they're at in the release cycle and if the new version is a point release that's going to overwrite/update existing installs.

Coincidentally I did just try to run PTS to help them out... but it crashed on like the second Xonotic run after Valley and left my system in a low-rez huge-pointer-on-black-screen one-monitor-shut-off state that necessitated restarting SDDM. No problems in any actual games. C'est la vie.
            I could have swore that's what I read yesterday, but, then again, I could have been mistaken. It appears that was the case

Comment

Working...
            X