Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDL2 Reverts Its Wayland Preference - Goes Back To X11 Default

Phoronix: SDL2 Reverts Its Wayland Preference - Goes Back To X11 Default

Back in January was the change pushed into SDL2 Git where the library prefers Wayland by default where available rather than defaulting to using X11 support. However, pushed today into SDL2 is a revert on that earlier change due to Wayland issues that the developers are more comfortable sticking to X11/XWayland by default until various Wayland problems are addressed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I still wait for Steam and Chrome, Chromium to support Wayland. These are really needed for full Wayland switch.

Comment

All the users that uses Wayland can do is continue to report bugs/failures/improvements to the SDL2 Wayland library. In due time the switch will be much smoother. XWayland is good enough to be the replacement for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
        All the users that uses Wayland can do is continue to report bugs/failures/improvements to the SDL2 Wayland library. In due time the switch will be much smoother. XWayland is good enough to be the replacement for now.
        XWayland is not a replacement for the X.Org server, it is literally the X.Org server.

Comment

Originally posted by xcom View Post
          I still wait for Steam and Chrome, Chromium to support Wayland. These are really needed for full Wayland switch.
          Since you brought up Steam, I'd add wine and Proton. I use KDE Wayland and so far, DPI and (some) custom resolutions are my only hangup. Granted, I'm not doing multi-monitor or docking a laptop in recent days so there may be improvement needed there too.

Overall, KDE Wayland has been amazing in the last year or so to me but it still has some paper cuts and they're actively working all of that out. DPI and HDR would be excellent but I think those two are waiting on XWayland and Wayland.

Comment

Not surprising in the slightest.

Comment

Wayland is faster than x11 for me, and has plenty of neat features, Things like gpu hot plugging, heterogeneous monitor support works well. It also has great features like forced integer scaling, no proper tablet protocol support, great app fragmentation.

yeah can't say i blame them.

Comment

Originally posted by xcom View Post
                Chromium switched to default with version 99. Works fine with it (could be a distribution preference though).

Comment

Finally some sanity in this mad mad mad world.

Comment

And here I thought most Phoronix members blamed X11 for being buggy, but it turns out Wayland is a bugfest too?

(I've been running Wayland for a while now, so please don't put me in the anti-Wayland group)

Comment

Working...
                    X