Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Alder Lake N Support Introduced For Mesa 22.0

Phoronix: Intel Alder Lake N Support Introduced For Mesa 22.0

In addition to this week seeing Raptor Lake S support added for Mesa 22.0, the Alder Lake N additions have also been merged for this quarter's Mesa update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I need a new Linux Laptop and I'm probably going with a Chromebook. There is a Jasper Lake model I really like called the Acer 317 that has a wonderful 17.3 inch screen and a quad core processor and 8GB of RAM, BUT I also am eyeing some of these Alder Lake N Chromebooks in development and wondering if my broadwell can hold out just a little bit longer and get a 15.6 or 16 inch Alder Lake N model. Jasper Lake uses Tremont architecture while the E cores in Alder Lake N have gracemount architecture that supports AVX2 and other modern op codes. My broadwell on the other hand doesn't even support AES-NI so either the Jasper Lake or the Alder Lake N will be a huge step up. I'm terrible at making decisions though and don't want to get stuck with a losing laptop for the next 8 years.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
      My broadwell on the other hand doesn't even support AES-NI so either the Jasper Lake or the Alder Lake N will be a huge step up. I'm terrible at making decisions though and don't want to get stuck with a losing laptop for the next 8 years.
      If you're coming from Broadwell and expect to keep it nearly so long, then you really should try to get some Tiger Lake or Alder Lake-N machine. The Gracemont cores in Alder Lake-N are supposed to be comparable to Skylake, which is the first CPU following Broadwell. I'm concerned that if you jumped on Jasper Lake (Tremont), then you could see a regression in a few areas.

Also, I expect there might be some good deals on the Tiger Lakes, as the mainstream Alder Lake laptops start hitting the market. So, you could keep a lookout for deals on those.

Years ago, I scored a really good deal on an "open box new" (which I assume meant it was like a store demo model) Lenovo i3 laptop that was from the previous model year. I won't go into the specs and details, because that was now about 5 years ago... but these sorts of deals are (sometimes) legit. My laptop came repackaged, but otherwise seemed basically new. I paid a bit over 50% of the original list price. Even after I bought a docking station, second charger, RAM upgrade, and Ethernet adapter, I was still well below the original list price.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
        If you're coming from Broadwell and expect to keep it nearly so long, then you really should try to get some Tiger Lake or Alder Lake-N machine. The Gracemont cores in Alder Lake-N are supposed to be comparable to Skylake, which is the first CPU following Broadwell. I'm concerned that if you jumped on Jasper Lake (Tremont), then you could see a regression in a few areas.
        Thanks Coder, you are very knowledgeable and I value your input on these forums.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
          Thanks Coder, you are very knowledgeable and I value your input on these forums.
          Thanks for the compliment. I think you have more faith in my words than I do, myself!
          : )

Please take my comments as merely an opinion and do your own diligence. I can't know your situation as well as you do, nor can I perfectly foresee the future of product launches, market conditions, or supply chains.

Comment

Working...
          X