Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise 21.Q4 Linux Driver Released

Phoronix: Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise 21.Q4 Linux Driver Released

Following the Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise 21.Q4 Windows driver that released earlier in the month, this week brought the similar quarterly enterprise graphics driver update to Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

AMD really does need a technical writer. On the first sentence of the Windows driver is:

Rigorous multi-wave testing and exhaustive ISV certifications help make this “the industry’s most stable driver”1.
    So, naturally, I thought, "According to who?"....only to find that the superscript 1 doesn't actually cite anything. No where on that page to they offer up who gave that quote.

Michael That's a link to the Windows driver
    Last edited by skeevy420; 17 December 2021, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      AMD really does need a technical writer. On the first sentence of the Windows driver is:

So, naturally, I thought, "According to who?"....only to find that the superscript 1 doesn't actually cite anything. No where on that page to they offer up who gave that quote.

That's a link to the Windows driver
      Also, it's kind of ironic that it says "most stable driver" but after looking at the EULA:

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. AMD DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS, IMPLIED, OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, THAT THE SOFTWARE WILL RUN UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE OR WARRANTIES ARISING FROM CUSTOM OF TRADE OR COURSE OF USAGE. THE ENTIRE RISK ASSOCIATED WITH THE USE OF THE SOFTWARE IS ASSUMED BY YOU. Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion of implied warranties, so the above exclusion may not apply to You.

Comment

tildearrow again similar to what skeevy420 manage to point out, depends against what they compare that driver. probably they compare it to previous releases. that does not mean that its stable and will not crash/whatever

Comment

Michael, based on my email I think bridgman said the "M" word and got flagged by the forum software.

Don't you know you're supposed to refer to them as M$ on Linux forums

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
            tildearrow again similar to what skeevy420 manage to point out, depends against what they compare that driver. probably they compare it to previous releases. that does not mean that its stable and will not crash/whatever
            Not to mention that basically every product does that....looks for any mention of anyone saying anything positive and running with it. They'll even quote specific words and portions of sentences if it helps make their point.

"Asobo Studios makes great flight simulator software1"

1Game Informer reports "Asobo Studios makes great flight simulator software if you enjoy doing 8 hours in a single bush flight only to not have the progress save."

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Not to mention that basically every product does that....looks for any mention of anyone saying anything positive and running with it. They'll even quote specific words and portions of sentences if it helps make their point.

"Asobo Studios makes great flight simulator software1"

1Game Informer reports "Asobo Studios makes great flight simulator software if you enjoy doing 8 hours in a single bush flight only to not have the progress save."
              So how's M$ [​​​​​​] Flight Simulator 2020 not actually developed by M$ but rather a French studio known for not achieving the most optimized builds is actually running on your current hardware?
              I'm ASSuming you're running it on Windows right now, correct?

If so, ever tried running it on Linux?

I'm asking because I plan to get it eventually and like to hear your thoughts instead of checking out ProtonDB...

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

So how's M$ [​​​​​​] Flight Simulator 2020 not actually developed by M$ but rather a French studio known for not achieving the most optimized builds is actually running on your current hardware?
                I'm ASSuming you're running it on Windows right now, correct?

If so, ever tried running it on Linux?

I'm asking because I plan to get it eventually and like to hear your thoughts instead of checking out ProtonDB...

Thanks!
                Yes, on Windows, and it doesn't play that bad all things considered. I'm targeting 4K30 with a 4GB RX 580 (scaled to 1080p) and I get 30fps with low/medium settings which is perfectly fine for a game like this. I haven't played it on Linux yet. I haven't been playing many flight sim games since I upgraded my flight sim hardware at the end of last month.

I bought some more VKB NXT modules for my stick and I don't have enough room for my stick+modules, keyboard, and mouse on my gaming table so I've been holding off playing flight games until I build a desk/table big enough to hold my all my hardware. Between not considering hardware size and the GOTY update not fixing the one bug that really bothered me I haven't been in a hurry to try it on Linux.

Comment

Working...
                X