AMDGPU Linux Driver Preparing To Enable DSC-Over-eDP For More Power-Savings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU Linux Driver Preparing To Enable DSC-Over-eDP For More Power-Savings

Phoronix: AMDGPU Linux Driver Preparing To Enable DSC-Over-eDP For More Power-Savings

While the AMD Radeon "AMDGPU" Linux kernel graphics driver has supported VESA Display Stream Compression (DSC) over DisplayPort connections, until now it hasn't supported the power-savings feature for eDP panels...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't know if it's because of Valve steam deck or AMD Advantage but lately there has been a lot of work put into power saving for portable devices which i as a laptop user applaud.
    It's great to finally see this kind of work for AMD hardware.
    Last edited by Nille_kungen; 12 November 2021, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Power saving is desperately needed, my HP Probook and Lenovo P14s both last >10 h on Windows, no problem, but rarely get over 4 hours on Linux..
      Last edited by DooMMasteR; 12 November 2021, 07:04 AM.

Comment

I'm surprised this helps power saving.

Presumably the circuits that compresses and then decompresses the signal must take some power, but I guess they figured out that it is still a net saving?

Comment

They're talking about reducing lane rate and/or the number of lanes, which definitely is a a reduction in power.

I think the former matters because switching state takes power - and usually it is encoded in such a way that it changes state regularly even if there is a lot of 1s or 0s in a row, to reduce the possibility that it mistakes eight 0s for nine 0s or simimar.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
            I don't know if it's because of Valve steam deck or AMD Advantage but lately there has been a lot of work put into power saving for portable devices which i as a laptop user applaud.
            It's great to finally see this kind of work for AMD hardware.
            Yep... the big thing was moving from our native display code to DC. That allowed us to leverage all of the display-related work being done for other OSes directl, rather than trying to duplicate all the work on Linux with a much smaller team.
            Test signature

Comment

Just idling, having a single Firefox window open, no video... Nothing...

Even completely idler the difference is about 8 hours vs 17 hours...

Comment

Working...
              X