Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.10 Graphics Driver Changes From AMDGPU DC For GCN 1.0 To Continuing RDNA 2 Push

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.10 Graphics Driver Changes From AMDGPU DC For GCN 1.0 To Continuing RDNA 2 Push

Phoronix: Linux 5.10 Graphics Driver Changes From AMDGPU DC For GCN 1.0 To Continuing RDNA 2 Push

The direct rendering manager (DRM) driver updates were sent in overnight for the ongoing Linux 5.10 merge window with a range of improvements for these graphics/display drivers and as usual the Intel and AMD Radeon driver churn is particularly heavy...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"One of the last blockers to AMDGPU driver becoming the default is that DC doesn't support VGA/analog display connections"
    Is this something which is being worked on or we are stuck with a bad default forever?
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

It is great to see that AMD invest "free money" into Open source :

form
      AMD Tries to Avoid Past Debt-Ridden Deal Mistakes in Xilinx Bid

October 10, 2020, 1:47 AM GMT+2
      https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amd-c...221841997.html

As we know that form development start into product start selling last form 5 to 5,5 years (4-4,5 years of design and 420 days to produce 2 revisions and delvery)
      40 days of manufacturing
      90 days of testing
      30 days form delivery of final chips to OEMs to allow OEMs to release products at day 0

0-th series (not shipping parts of final design)
      40 days of manufacturing
      90 days of testing

40+90 =130
      130*2=260

+One not suitable 0-th series
      130 days

390 days

+30 days for shipping to OEM

420days

AMD Ships First "Bulldozer" Processors
      September 07, 2011
      https://ir.amd.com/news-events/press...zer-processors

+ 5,5 equals March 7th, 2017

AMD Ryzen(TM) 7 Desktop Processors Featuring Record-Breaking Overclocking Performance Available Worldwide Today

March 02, 2017
      New Ryzen 7 Processors Set to Reinvigorate the Desktop Computing Market; Unprecedented Pre-Order Sales Show Ryzen Leads Best Seller Lists

SUNNYVALE, CA -- -- 03/02/17 -- After four years and thousands of hours of development, AMD (NASDAQ: AMD) today released the first three models of its highly anticipated, high-performance AMD Ryzenâ„¢ desktop processor. Strong demand for these new desktop CPUs drove record pre-orders from more than 180 global etailers and boutique OEMs throughout the week prior to launch. Now offered for purchase around the globe, Ryzen is the first processor based on the entirely new AMD "Zen" core microarchitecture,
      https://ir.amd.com/news-events/press...sors-featuring

AMD Zen 3 has finished its design phase, rumored to launch in 2020
      By August 09, 2019
      https://www.techradar.com/news/amd-z...launch-in-2020

Your starting date is August 9, 2019 so that means that 420 days later would be October 2, 2020
      https://www.convertunits.com/dates/4...om/Aug+9,+2019
      Last edited by Peter Fodrek; 15 October 2020, 06:46 AM.

Comment

"But for now the hardware is still defaulting to the older Radeon DRM driver instead."

Is it anticipated that this might changes before 5.10 releases?

Comment

One of the last blockers to AMDGPU driver becoming the default is that DC doesn't support VGA/analog display connections that were still used by some GCN 1.0/1.1 graphics cards and thus wouldn't work with AMDGPU DC at this time.
          But that is not limited to GCN 1.0/1.1.
          I have a R9 380 (GCN 3) and I too have to set amdgpu.dc=0 in order for my VGA monitor to light up.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Fodrek View Post
            It is great to see that AMD invest "free money" into Open source :
            If only all the people with money I know would have listened to me when I told them about this great stock tip in 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
              "One of the last blockers to AMDGPU driver becoming the default is that DC doesn't support VGA/analog display connections"
              Is this something which is being worked on or we are stuck with a bad default forever?
              Why are you talking about being stuck with a bad default? I don't think the default option is bad, as long as the other possible option has weaknesses, too.

Comment

I understand very little bit about this but if you're not using a VGA analog connection can you change the default driver being used to the new one and expect performance gains?

Comment

Originally posted by cytomax55 View Post
                  I understand very little bit about this but if you're not using a VGA analog connection can you change the default driver being used to the new one and expect performance gains?
                  Not necessarily performance gains, but you get the ability to run Vulkan apps.
                  Test signature

Comment

You can still use amdgpu without DC, no?

Comment

Working...
                    X