AMD Squeezes In Some Final AMDGPU Changes To DRM-Next For Linux 4.21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Squeezes In Some Final AMDGPU Changes To DRM-Next For Linux 4.21

Phoronix: AMD Squeezes In Some Final AMDGPU Changes To DRM-Next For Linux 4.21

Complementing all of the AMDGPU feature work already staged for the upcoming Linux 4.21 kernel, another (small) batch of material was sent out on Wednesday...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Exciting, 4.21 is shaping up to be the most interesting release in many years for us AMD owners! More specifically Sea Island users in my case.

Comment

DOes anyone know where is the bug tracker for the bug of AMDGPU driver shutting down the screen permanently if used with Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        DOes anyone know where is the bug tracker for the bug of AMDGPU driver shutting down the screen permanently if used with Wayland?
        Im wondering the exact same thing.

Comment

I thought that was traced back to a DisplayPort problem in the DC code and not a Wayland thing. I was experiencing the same display shutdown during boot, and I'm not using Wayland - I switched from the DP connector to the DVI connector and the problem no longer exists.

Edit: appears to be fixed as of 4.20-rc5+
          Last edited by torsionbar28; 13 December 2018, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
            I thought that was traced back to a DisplayPort problem in the DC code and not a Wayland thing. I was experiencing the same display shutdown during boot, and I'm not using Wayland - I switched from the DP connector to the DVI connector and the problem no longer exists.

Edit: appears to be fixed as of 4.20-rc5+
            Thanks a lot, let's hope it was my issue.

I'm driving a 4k screen and I can only use DP (HDMI caps refresh rate to 30hz and it's noticeable, DVI connector can't drive a 4k screen at right resolution), so that's is a problem for me.

Comment

Has anyone made a freesync testing app for Linux yet? similar to the windmill on windows?

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                Has anyone made a freesync testing app for Linux yet? similar to the windmill on windows?
                Freesync isnt working yet because it still needs to be merged into mesa as far as i know. But im not 100% sure but i havent seen any freesync commit into mesa 19.0 so far.

Comment

Are you using DisplayPort 1.2? There is a related bug that's fixed in 4.20-rc6. I reported the above bug, and it took a while but AMD fixed it.
                  As a workaround you can also disable DP 1.2 mode in your monitor (older version of DP isn't affected).

Wayland crash is related to these and was caused by the above. But KWin developers claimed it's the right behavior (though not quite clear why).

When using KWin Wayland session in Debian testing with AMD Vega 56 GPU (connected over DisplayPort), it cores right after log-in and falls back into sddm. I managed...
                  Last edited by shmerl; 13 December 2018, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                    Are you using DisplayPort 1.2? There is a related bug that's fixed in 4.20-rc6. I reported the above bug, and it took a while but AMD fixed it.
                    As a workaround you can also disable DP 1.2 mode in your monitor (older version of DP isn't affected).
                    I don't think it's using DP 1.2, My screen has "Displayport 1.2" setting grayed out and showing "disabled".

The GPU is a Dell r7 240, which isn't exactly the last and greatest,
                    VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Oland [Radeon HD 8570 / R7 240/340 OEM

and I'm forcing the use of amdgpu on it through kernel command line arguments (I get the same issue also without the forcing, when it is running Radeon driver )

But this happens also with a Sapphire RX470.

Comment

Working...
                    X