Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Squeezes In Some Final AMDGPU Changes To DRM-Next For Linux 4.21

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMD Squeezes In Some Final AMDGPU Changes To DRM-Next For Linux 4.21

    Phoronix: AMD Squeezes In Some Final AMDGPU Changes To DRM-Next For Linux 4.21

    Complementing all of the AMDGPU feature work already staged for the upcoming Linux 4.21 kernel, another (small) batch of material was sent out on Wednesday...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ing-Linux-4.21

  • #2
    Exciting, 4.21 is shaping up to be the most interesting release in many years for us AMD owners! More specifically Sea Island users in my case.

    Comment


    • #3
      DOes anyone know where is the bug tracker for the bug of AMDGPU driver shutting down the screen permanently if used with Wayland?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        DOes anyone know where is the bug tracker for the bug of AMDGPU driver shutting down the screen permanently if used with Wayland?
        Im wondering the exact same thing.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          DOes anyone know where is the bug tracker for the bug of AMDGPU driver shutting down the screen permanently if used with Wayland?
          I thought that was traced back to a DisplayPort problem in the DC code and not a Wayland thing. I was experiencing the same display shutdown during boot, and I'm not using Wayland - I switched from the DP connector to the DVI connector and the problem no longer exists.

          https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=107978

          Edit: appears to be fixed as of 4.20-rc5+
          Last edited by torsionbar28; 12-13-2018, 11:02 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
            I thought that was traced back to a DisplayPort problem in the DC code and not a Wayland thing. I was experiencing the same display shutdown during boot, and I'm not using Wayland - I switched from the DP connector to the DVI connector and the problem no longer exists.

            https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=107978

            Edit: appears to be fixed as of 4.20-rc5+
            Thanks a lot, let's hope it was my issue.

            I'm driving a 4k screen and I can only use DP (HDMI caps refresh rate to 30hz and it's noticeable, DVI connector can't drive a 4k screen at right resolution), so that's is a problem for me.

            Comment


            • #7
              Has anyone made a freesync testing app for Linux yet? similar to the windmill on windows?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                Has anyone made a freesync testing app for Linux yet? similar to the windmill on windows?
                Freesync isnt working yet because it still needs to be merged into mesa as far as i know. But im not 100% sure but i havent seen any freesync commit into mesa 19.0 so far.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  DOes anyone know where is the bug tracker for the bug of AMDGPU driver shutting down the screen permanently if used with Wayland?
                  Are you using DisplayPort 1.2? There is a related bug that's fixed in 4.20-rc6. I reported the above bug, and it took a while but AMD fixed it.
                  As a workaround you can also disable DP 1.2 mode in your monitor (older version of DP isn't affected).

                  Wayland crash is related to these and was caused by the above. But KWin developers claimed it's the right behavior (though not quite clear why).

                  https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=396066
                  https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayla...land/issues/56
                  Last edited by shmerl; 12-13-2018, 02:39 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                    Are you using DisplayPort 1.2? There is a related bug that's fixed in 4.20-rc6. I reported the above bug, and it took a while but AMD fixed it.
                    As a workaround you can also disable DP 1.2 mode in your monitor (older version of DP isn't affected).
                    I don't think it's using DP 1.2, My screen has "Displayport 1.2" setting grayed out and showing "disabled".

                    The GPU is a Dell r7 240, which isn't exactly the last and greatest,
                    VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Oland [Radeon HD 8570 / R7 240/340 OEM

                    and I'm forcing the use of amdgpu on it through kernel command line arguments (I get the same issue also without the forcing, when it is running Radeon driver )

                    But this happens also with a Sapphire RX470.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X