Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Radeon RX 590 Is Finally Running Strong On Linux

Phoronix: The Radeon RX 590 Is Finally Running Strong On Linux

It took the better part of a month since the debut of the latest Polaris hardware refresh, but with the latest AMDGPU kernel driver patch posted today, the AMD Radeon RX 590 now appears to be in great shape with the open-source Radeon graphics driver stack for Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

nice

Comment

Good to hear.

So much trouble for what should've been an incremental change in the chip/card. Nice to hear that it's working now and the issues seem to be behind us.

Comment

All reviews I can find about this GPU basically boil down to "there is zero reason to buy this, get a 580 instead."

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          All reviews I can find about this GPU basically boil down to "there is zero reason to buy this, get a 580 instead."
          Depends on the price difference. The RX590 is slightly better. I wonder how long it is until Navi is released though because that will likely make these cards obsolete.

Comment

Or spend a little more and get a Vega 56.

But then again, this is true of any top-of-the-line product, you're paying a lot more to gain only a nominal improvement. See 1080 vs. 1080ti. Or 8700k vs. 8086k. etc.

Comment

Is this card good for OpenCL image processing with GEGL or Darktable using the open-source AMDGPU stack? (What does clinfo say about image support?)

Comment

Originally posted by RichyK View Post
                Is this card good for OpenCL image processing with GEGL or Darktable using the open-source AMDGPU stack? (What does clinfo say about image support?)
                It's going to depend on whether the optional OpenCL packages are installed. I don't *think* upstream OpenCL (via clover) includes image support yet but that might be old info.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                  My distribution has support for RX590, firmware files you need to copy manually. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKJ-IatUfis&t=1s
                  Months ago I thought of making a parody distro with your weird setup, but now that you've been doing it by yourself, never mind...

Comment

not really, for the ppl who have a 580 is not worthy. for someone o build a new pc this card is better and more efficient, better than a gtx 1060.

Comment

Working...
                    X