NVIDIA Vulkan Beta Update Brings Hang Fixes, Device Diagnostic Checkpoints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Vulkan Beta Update Brings Hang Fixes, Device Diagnostic Checkpoints

Phoronix: NVIDIA Vulkan Beta Update Brings Hang Fixes, Device Diagnostic Checkpoints

NVIDIA has just published their latest Vulkan beta driver release for Windows and Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

#opensourcetheblob

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
      #opensourcetheblob
      I wouldn't hold my breath. Besides, I'm not giving a flying fsck anymore, because I recently voted with my wallet and bought a RX580. Goodbye nVidia. Forever.
      Last edited by lucrus; 08 August 2018, 04:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post

I wouldn't hold my breath. Besides, I'm not giving a flying fsck anymore, because I recently voted with my wallet and bought a RX580. Goodbye nVidia. Forever.
        Totally, my primary rigs are all AMD, too bad for NV too because some years I throw down $100-1500 on GPU's.

The Nvidia Linux experience is just inferior to AMD, but if they did do a open source driver I would have to be open to consider them again.

Not holding my breath, their wallet can rot until they get desperate. I will only buy AMD and encourage all the people who ask me as a IT to buy AMD, so we'll see if we can artificially create a cold day in hell for them until they comply.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
          #opensourcetheblob
          I don't know. It probably contains a lot of crap that no one wants to see.

I would rather they develop a new open source driver from scratch or invest in nouveau.

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post

Ahmen to that. I really prefer AMDs philosophy when it comes to Linux support. I do have to give Nvidia credit though, they had much better performance over the years - but now that the gap has narrowed I don't think I would ever need to go back to using their hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by rstrube View Post

Ahmen to that. I really prefer AMDs philosophy when it comes to Linux support. I do have to give Nvidia credit though, they had much better performance over the years - but now that the gap has narrowed I don't think I would ever need to go back to using their hardware.
              Nvidia's blob may be inconvenient (not free, doesn't play well with bleeding-edge kernels, long time between releases), but it works really well, and if you report a bug and a reliable way to reproduce it, it gets fixed pretty quickly. I for one am happy with nvidia, stoning may commence now

Comment

Working...
              X