NVIDIA Vulkan Beta Update Brings Hang Fixes, Device Diagnostic Checkpoints

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Vulkan Beta Update Brings Hang Fixes, Device Diagnostic Checkpoints

Phoronix: NVIDIA Vulkan Beta Update Brings Hang Fixes, Device Diagnostic Checkpoints

NVIDIA has just published their latest Vulkan beta driver release for Windows and Linux...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Linux-Release

#opensourcetheblob

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
      #opensourcetheblob
      I wouldn't hold my breath. Besides, I'm not giving a flying fsck anymore, because I recently voted with my wallet and bought a RX580. Goodbye nVidia. Forever.
      Last edited by lucrus; 08-08-2018, 04:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post

I wouldn't hold my breath. Besides, I'm not giving a flying fsck anymore, because I recently voted with my wallet and bought a RX580. Goodbye nVidia. Forever.
        Totally, my primary rigs are all AMD, too bad for NV too because some years I throw down $100-1500 on GPU's.

The Nvidia Linux experience is just inferior to AMD, but if they did do a open source driver I would have to be open to consider them again.

Not holding my breath, their wallet can rot until they get desperate. I will only buy AMD and encourage all the people who ask me as a IT to buy AMD, so we'll see if we can artificially create a cold day in hell for them until they comply.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
          #opensourcetheblob
          I don't know. It probably contains a lot of crap that no one wants to see.

I would rather they develop a new open source driver from scratch or invest in nouveau.

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post

Ahmen to that. I really prefer AMDs philosophy when it comes to Linux support. I do have to give Nvidia credit though, they had much better performance over the years - but now that the gap has narrowed I don't think I would ever need to go back to using their hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by rstrube View Post

Ahmen to that. I really prefer AMDs philosophy when it comes to Linux support. I do have to give Nvidia credit though, they had much better performance over the years - but now that the gap has narrowed I don't think I would ever need to go back to using their hardware.
              Nvidia's blob may be inconvenient (not free, doesn't play well with bleeding-edge kernels, long time between releases), but it works really well, and if you report a bug and a reliable way to reproduce it, it gets fixed pretty quickly. I for one am happy with nvidia, stoning may commence now

Comment

Working...
              X