Flatpak 0.8 Released, The Start Of An LTS Stable Branch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danniello View Post
    Installation howto looks complicated and I’m a little confused…
    Both howtos should work. The one from libreoffice.org is older and hence doesn't use some features introduced in newer versions of Flatpak that make the process simpler.

These commands looks for me too much complicated for "average user" that wants just install application.
    The flatpak command line tool wasn't meant for the average user.

How should I now that before install LibreOffice.flatpak I need add "gnome https://sdk.gnome.org/gnome.flatpakrepo" and then install "gnome org.gnome.Platform 3.20"?
    Reading a howto would be one possibility.

Why 3.20? It will work if I choose for example 3.22?
    Because the LibreOffice flatpak was build for the Gnome 3.20 runtime. The 3.22 runtime won't work; LibreOffice might get installed (this might have been changed recently), but it won't run.

I hope that in the future it will work much simpler - for example like now it is with rpm packages (in theory - click in browser and accept installation (with assumption that chosen rpm is prepared for my distribution and dependences are OK
    That's exactly how it works right now if you're using Gnome Software instead of the command line tool.

Comment

These commands looks for me too much complicated for "average user" that wants just install application.
      I think this update partially addresses that. On the source website for this article there is a video which shows how to install MonoDevelop with one command:

Code:
      flatpak install https://download.mono-project.com/repo/monodevelop.flatpakref
      Still seems a bit complicated since you need to know the address of the package, but maybe that is only for packages from a repository that wasn't added yet?

Comment

Installation howto looks complicated and I’m a little confused…
        Flatpack's CLI is fine as it is supposed to be operated by a GUI program, or by a helper CLI middleman (same as apt-get vs dpkg).

"program for newbies" != "only has CLI interface"

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
          http://images-cdn.9gag.com/photo/a8W1726_700b.jpg
          That time was "when people talked face to face" or "that time when you knew beforehand the people in the forum".

Comment

Installation howto looks complicated and I’m a little confused… For example:
            I hope that in the future it will work much simpler - for example like now it is with rpm packages (in theory - click in browser and accept installation (with assumption that chosen rpm is prepared for my distribution and dependences are OK
            It's already much easier, see how easily you can install the LibreOffice flatpak on Fedora 25:
            A lot of users complained that installing flatpaks was too difficult. And they were right, just look at the installation instructions on the Flatpak download page at LibreOffice.org. But that was n…

Comment

Installing flatpaks is much easier nowadays: https://eischmann.wordpress.com/2016...-in-fedora-25/

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Flatpack's CLI is fine as it is supposed to be operated by a GUI program, or by a helper CLI middleman (same as apt-get vs dpkg).

"program for newbies" != "only has CLI interface"
                I don't feel like digging through the source right now, but I hope that's not their intent. Friends don't make friends call system(), friends let you call library APIs

Comment

Originally posted by Sesivany View Post
                  Installing flatpaks is much easier nowadays: https://eischmann.wordpress.com/2016...-in-fedora-25/
                  YouTube video: it's very easy in Fedora 25; blog: it's very easy in Fedora 25 IF you did some installations first before what is on YouTube video. In another words: it is not THAT easy.

Such videos should be done fully, without skipping "less easy" parts (for example recorded from fresh Fedora 25 in VM where installation of all necessary pre-requirements are showed).

Another questions: Which download/install first? .flatpak file? .flatpakref file? If .flatpak require .flatpakref file - why .flatpakref is not part of .flatpak file? What about dependences? If future LibreOffice will require Gnome 3.22 - will it install proper .flatpakref or again I will need do it manually? What will happen with Gnome 3.20 already installed (used only in "older" flatpak LibreOffice)? It will be updated? Or there will be 3.20 and 3.22 separately?

Adding "most common" .flatpakref to the distribution probably will not resolve issue. For example for Fedora 26 probably "the most common" will be: Gnome 3.20; Gnome 3.22 (for old flatpak compatibility) and Gnome 3.24. But what about future Gnome 3.26, etc.? KDE?

I know that flatpak is nice tech and now it is "good enough" for "powerusers", but let face it - at this point it is not "average user" ready at all. Perhaps in Fedora 26...

Comment

Working...
                  X