Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by patstew View Post
    Rust isn't any less arcane than C++.
    C++ is significantly more arcane than Rust. It even requires far more verbose/arcane syntax to accomplish basic chores that are otherwise trivial in Rust. Compilers also aren't able to detect a significant number of source code defects that should be caught at compile-time.

C++ is complicated and it has its problems, but there isn't anything that really competes with it. Once you've got your head round it you can do some pretty cool stuff quite concisely, there are good libraries and perfect C compatibility is a huge benefit.
    And yet Rust is doing just fine replacing C++ and C both, so there's your competition. It also has 'perfect C compatibility' for importing C librararies and exporting a C ABI, which is something that C++ is terrible at. There's good reason why Tessel chose to support Rust instead of C++ for their IoT robotics platform. Rust is the preferred language for future software development.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post

C++ is significantly more arcane than Rust. It even requires far more verbose/arcane syntax to accomplish basic chores that are otherwise trivial in Rust. Compilers also aren't able to detect a significant number of source code defects that should be caught at compile-time.

And yet Rust is doing just fine replacing C++ and C both, so there's your competition. It also has 'perfect C compatibility' for importing C librararies and exporting a C ABI, which is something that C++ is terrible at. There's good reason why Tessel chose to support Rust instead of C++ for their IoT robotics platform. Rust is the preferred language for future software development.
      Don't get me wrong, I think Rust is cool, it just has a long way to go to catch up with decades of C++ development in terms of libraries, platform support etc.
      Don't you have to write a bunch of FFI declarations at the least to use C functions in Rust, and wrappers if you don't want everything to be unsafe? There's quite a lot here https://doc.rust-lang.org/stable/book/ffi.html. In what way is C++ terrible at it? You just need to have extern "C" { } in the header to make the declarations compatible, which pretty much any library does already. It couldn't be much easier. Obviously C can't use class member call syntax, templates, STL types etc but similar restrictions apply to any language more complicated than C, not just C++.

Comment

Originally posted by littleowl View Post
        If you want to discuss, please try to respect the opinion of others without resorting to profanity.
        lol, i am not going to respect "opinions" that 2*2 equals 5
        The real problem is growing complexity of C++.
        the problem is you made unsupported bullshit claim
        What other prove you need when even people with deep knowledge of C++ like Scott Meyers are not sure how to use things like list initialisers without digging into the C++ standard!? It is enough to read his book Effective Modern C++ to realise it because he spends a lot of effort explaining various gotchas even in the new C++11/14 features.
        i've read his books, except last one. everyone can make mistake, citing one mistake does not prove anything. initializer lists do make using c++ easier. if you are too afraid of them - don't user them and suffer from mistakes in manual boiler plate.
        The rise of languages like Rust, Swift or even Go are symptoms of C++ failure.
        there is no rise of those languages. go is designer's failure since it attracts only python programmers instead of c++ programmers. swift is apple-only thing and rust is raw single implementation used by its parent project without any chance to get any traction before next c++ will receive all good features from it. rust is more like research project. i also have a link for you. while you are dreaming of rise of rust, mozilla engineers are busy improving c++ https://botondballo.wordpress.com/20...november-2016/
        c++ on the other hand is on the rise, it's more popular than ever with record number of attendees of standard meetings and three major compilers with features ready at the time of spec release

Comment

seems like this forum loses posts(no message like waiting for approval at all), i am not going to retype it

Comment

C++ is significantly more arcane than Rust.
            c++ got all its arcanity from c. because compatibility with c is one of its design goals. rust has no compatibility with c and nobody will use it
            And yet Rust is doing just fine replacing C++ and C both
            only in your dreams
            Rust is the preferred language for future software development.
            stop abusing drugs. even mozilla developers are not hat crazy
            Summary / TL;DR Project What’s in it? Status C++17 See below Committee Draft published; final publication on track for 2017 Filesystems TS Standard filesystem interface Published! Part of C++…

and where is eclipse rust ide?

Comment

this topic comes up often so i will explain
              each language has its set of design goals
              c++ has its set which is different from set of every toy project touted as "c++ killer" by some idiots
              you can't make killer like that. to make killer you need same set of design goals and more manpower. which isn't going to happen and btw in the end you will just get next version of c++

Comment

That's funny how people mention "swift" as better than C++. Swift is an utter failure. They removed '++' and '--' because it was too hard for them to use them. That's pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
                  That's funny how people mention "swift" as better than C++. Swift is an utter failure. They removed '++' and '--' because it was too hard for them to use them. That's pathetic.
                  I feel the same about rust.

Comment

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
                    Tried building with clang for android using the cocos2D framework. Couldn't use make_unique which from what I know it's c++14. So I had to use C++11 at most.
                    I'm using GCC on Android, and it works when I manually add "-std=gnu++1y" to the compiler flags (which enables C++14 plus GNU extensions which some libraries I use make use of.) I assume it's the same for Clang.

C++14 support in fact is excellent even in the rather old GCC version (4.8) shipped in the Android NDK. Compilers have caught up with the standard for a while now :-)

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
                      I think people fail to realize how terrible was metaprogramming before C++11 and how much it is easy to make short and reliable code over the years...
                      I think you fail to realize how terrible it was before c++98. You couldn't even be sure all c++ compilers supported templates..

Comment

Working...
                      X