Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tumblr Is The Latest Company Boasting About PHP7 Performance

Phoronix: Tumblr Is The Latest Company Boasting About PHP7 Performance

We've talked a lot on Phoronix about PHP 7 due to the mighty impressive performance improvements found in this major update that was released at the end of last year. Many companies have blogged about their positive performance experiences in upgrading to PHP7, many of which we've shared on Phoronix, and Tumblr is now the latest company to boast about their migration from PHP5 to PHP7...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

PHP has grown up, so proud. Come a long way since PHP 3 & 4.

Comment

Maybe they'll reach the performance levels of Java by 2030 :-D
      Seriously, replacing PHP with Java has always led to a massive decrease in required CPU resources in my experience.

Comment

Still doesn't support features such as arrow functions which JavaScript ES6 and C# have.
        Example Foo(x => bar(x));

Or decorators, which Python, Java and C# have.
        Example:
        Code:
        [Authorize(Roles = "Admins")] // This is a decorator
        public IActionResult Delete() {
            return View();
        }

Comment

PHP 8 working on a new JIT engine while other dynamic programming languages are working on AOT:

Comment

Originally posted by LubosD View Post
            Seriously, replacing PHP with Java has always led to a massive decrease in required CPU resources in my experience.
            And maybe Java will reach the performance level of C++ by... no, nevermind

Comment

I've had to work with PHP over the past few years and I agree PHP 7 is definitely nicer to work with. Etsy/Phan is especially awesome for tracking down potential errors but sometimes has to be given a judicious eye e.g. 'errors' due to Laravel's facades or its service container resolution. I'm really missing some kind of safe, explicit destructuring of assoc. arrays so I can pick what I want, not unlike ES6 or Clojure, for example.

Thank you facebook for pushing PHP to be better, esp. for those of us not choosing it as their lang. of choice.

Comment

Originally posted by LubosD View Post
                You can almost always get performance/speed/clean code benefits from a rewrite - even from java :P

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Still doesn't support features such as arrow functions which JavaScript ES6 and C# have.
                  Example Foo(x => bar(x));

Or decorators, which Python, Java and C# have.
                  Example:
                  Code:
                  [Authorize(Roles = "Admins")] // This is a decorator
                  public IActionResult Delete() {
                  return View();
                  }
                  You do realise not every language has to implement every language feature ever, right?

Comment

Are people really use PHP for any serious project in 2016? Don't get me wrong, PHP was the first programming language I've learned like 8 years ago, but once you get to know other, properly designed and consistent languages, you'll realize how flawed to the core PHP is.
                    Come to think of it, web developers have the worst technologies to work with: the whole front-end development is a big mess with JavaScript and its million frameworks, plain CSS sucks too so they're generating it from LESS and SASS, and then there's backend development, where they're trying to use scripting languages to drive websites with high performance although these languages and their runtimes weren't designed for that. So man years of work are put into developing faster runtimes for these languages so the already existing codebases don't have to be rewritten in a language which fits the task better.
                    All in all, I think the whole "visible" web ecosystem (~websites and web-based apps) is a big inefficient mess, and I'm glad I turned my back to web development and oriented myself to native development.
                    /rant

Comment

Working...
                    X