GTK4 Development Code Just Received 100+ Commits Dropping Old Stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post

Excuse me? It has one of the cleanest and elegant APIs I know. It is super flexible and uses modern language features and comes with an exceptional good documentation.
    There's no such thing as a clean, elegant & flexible GUI tool kit in C++. Objects can't map to the hardware regardless if you're using modern GPU rendering or classic software blitting.
    Fortunately for Qt, C is even worse for the job so it wins by default so long as performance and memory overhead is not an issue.

Comment

So what is going to replace / has replaced Gtk[HV]Box?

Comment

Originally posted by konsolebox View Post
        Gtk.HBox and Gtk.VBox have been deprecated and replaced by Gtk.Box for a very long time now. (It doesn't make sense to have two different widgets if the only difference is the orientation.)
        Code:
        VBox: Gtk.Box (Gtk.Orientation.VERTICAL, 0);  
        HBox: Gtk.Box (Gtk.Orientation.HORIZONTAL, 0);
        Syntax will be different depending on the language, off course.

Comment

Originally posted by konsolebox View Post
          GtkBox. one widget that acts as both of those since it has orientation property that can be changed in design time or runtime. it really sucked in gtk2 when you for some reason needed to change layout orientation. and if they didn't remove them, people would probably still try to use them by shooting them selves in the foot

Comment

Originally posted by JonathanM View Post

Gtk.HBox and Gtk.VBox have been deprecated and replaced by Gtk.Box for a very long time now. (It doesn't make sense to have two different widgets if the only difference is the orientation.)
            Code:
            VBox: Gtk.Box (Gtk.Orientation.VERTICAL, 0);
            HBox: Gtk.Box (Gtk.Orientation.HORIZONTAL, 0);
            Syntax will be different depending on the language, off course.
            not that it doesn't make sense. it was fucking pain in the ass

Comment

Sweet. Very curious to see what effect the GSK work will have on performance. I'm very happy I chose gtk+ way back in the early 2.x days.

It's a pity every software release announced here comes with the mandatory trolling by snotty-nosed teenagers, though I guess they'd just develop even more hangups if we started banning them.

Comment

OMG, another GTK. While GTK+ seemed to be fairly okay at v2, things didn't really improve (at least from my user-persperctive) with gtk+3. Things broke with updates, icons, themes and stuff, more and more dependencies; so whereever I can I use USE="qt5" for programs (though I must admit that some part of iirc. qt-webkit pulls in ruby as a compile time dependency, so I had to fiddle around a bit to avoid that).

I would approve if GTK 4 was in a better shape and more consistent.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                  OMG, another GTK. While GTK+ seemed to be fairly okay at v2, things didn't really improve (at least from my user-persperctive) with gtk+3. Things broke with updates, icons, themes and stuff, more and more dependencies; so whereever I can I use USE="qt5" for programs (though I must admit that some part of iirc. qt-webkit pulls in ruby as a compile time dependency, so I had to fiddle around a bit to avoid that).

I would approve if GTK 4 was in a better shape and more consistent.
                  Hehe. Yeah I can imagine the odd thing would break if you're using Gentoo. I'm a long-term Gentoo user. It's not for the faint-hearted. The things that broke for you are the responsibility of the distro to deal with. Sabayon does a great job of shipping a full set of libraries + apps. Gentoo is not so constrained, and you're kinda expected to know what you're doing and fix things when you break them. Personally, the only things I've seen break are the 3rd party themes, but frankly, since the Adwaita theme, it's been the best looking theme by a very long way.

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post
                    Hehe. Yeah I can imagine the odd thing would break if you're using Gentoo. I'm a long-term Gentoo user. It's not for the faint-hearted. The things that broke for you are the responsibility of the distro to deal with. Sabayon does a great job of shipping a full set of libraries + apps. Gentoo is not so constrained, and you're kinda expected to know what you're doing and fix things when you break them. Personally, the only things I've seen break are the 3rd party themes, but frankly, since the Adwaita theme, it's been the best looking theme by a very long way.
                    Just when I thought I saw it all. A Gentoo user being smug towards another Gentoo user.

Comment

Working...
                    X