LLVM Still Pursuing Apache 2.0 License + GPLv2 Compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nasyt View Post

In fact, many Projects using the MIT-License are the best of their kind such as Jenkins CI, Dropbear SSH server, Bouncy Castle crypto library, and so on...
    It's simple. The projects you mentioned are cross-platform. Permissive licenses are good for cross-platform projects. When comes to bigger ones like Linux, Windows, OS X restrictive licenses fit much better. BSD is using permissive license, so Linux, Windows and OS X benefits from it. It makes BSD less competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

It's simple. The projects you mentioned are cross-platform. Permissive licenses are good for cross-platform projects. When comes to bigger ones like Linux, Windows, OS X restrictive licenses fit much better. BSD is using permissive license, so Linux, Windows and OS X benefits from it. It makes BSD less competitive.
      Isn't LLVM also cross-platform like the other projects i mentioned? Then, a permissive license is good for it.

Comment

... BSD is using permissive license, so Linux ... benefits from it. ...
        I doubt that Linux benefits from BSD. The Linux devs have a long history of NIH syndrome work.

It makes BSD less competitive.
        To be honest, the reason, why BSD is "less competitive" is, because it is unix-like. Software that runs on BSD can easily be ported to Linux but the other way is more difficult. Linux offers the POSIX API with a lot of additional linuxisms. Application developers embrace those linuxisms thus making their software incompatible with other unixoid systems.

I assure you, even if there was an OS, that is an order of magnitude faster than Linux, all of the Admins would stubbornly stick to Linux. It's as simple as that.

Recently, as far as I know e year ago or two, Windows Server had a slightly higher Internet Server market share. And i think it is, precisely because Windows is not unix-like.

Comment

Working...
        X