Git 2.9 Released: Adds Git-MultiMail, Many Sub-Command Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pali View Post

Because one of git advantages is that it is FAST. Creating new commit or branch must be immediately. And also low memory usage. And for these two reasons there is no better way than C.
    *couch*go/rust*cough*

Those may not be mature enough to be considered for git, but in 2016 there are better ways than C.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

*couch*go/rust*cough*

Those may not be mature enough to be considered for git, but in 2016 there are better ways than C.
      Agreed on Rust, but Go is not anywhere near as performant as C. Not throughout the board anyways.

Comment

Because one of git advantages is that it is FAST. Creating new commit or branch must be immediately. And also low memory usage. And for these two reasons there is no better way than C.
        Mainly that with the side benefit of less technical debt.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

*couch*go/rust*cough*

yes and no. C is still a really good language if you want to get down and dirty and can manage things. The down side of it though is that it has many "Sharp Corners".
          The benefits that Go has is that it makes it easy to do things at the expense of some speed (because throwing $ at more servers is WAY cheaper than developer time, especially if you can get 80-90% the performance of C)
          Rust I am not so sure on - I have not yet had much experience with it.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

They could always use GitLab or something similar and expose the platform's communication infrastructure to a broader audience.
            You would have to assume that all easy to think of options would have been thought of by now, they have been doing this for a while

Comment

Yes, and the core bits are already written in C and working fast. Those benefits are greatly reduced for outer layers of glue code such as the UI and various tooling, while the disadvantages are quite striking.

Comment

Originally posted by svanheulen
                Rust is a really interesting language but I don't think it's ready yet. There are some very basic things that are still missing, like being able to do a for loop with a step...
                Not exactly a blocker for Git, I would guess.
                That aside, Git is still the fastest VCS I have come across. I haven't tried Mercurial or Bazaar, but anything else I (am forced to) use makes me feel like I'm working with one hand tied behind my back.

Comment

Working...
                X