PHP 7.0 Is Showing Very Promising Performance Over PHP 5, Closing Gap With HHVM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _ck_ View Post
    While this is another quality benchmark from phoronix I want to point out that PHP/HHVM are not typically used for raw computational power like these tests are measuring

Other benchmarks to consider might be 1000 "single file" short tests in a series where the fastcgi socket is given a workout and then maybe four parallel versions of that test (for all I know HHVM might still be better in parallel loads vs PHP).

For example my test from last month is less scientific but it shows PHP7 is slightly faster than HHVM for web apps like WordPress when running sequentially

A casual Sunday morning benchmark for August 9th 2015 using latest builds: 1000 Front Pages of WordPress (virtually stock default install) HHVM 11.99, 11.83, 11.81, 11.78, 11.85 seconds PHP7 11.18,…

I still have to rig up a parallel load test.
    This was mainly just a test for performance I care about.... Due to PTS and the results impacting the performance of openBenchmarking.org, etc. Anyhow, the results came out great (sans the HHVM memory usage) and shows that even with non-WordPress/non-common workloads, the gains of PHP7 are very much real.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I saw benchmarks of PHP 7 running on WordPress 4.4.2 in Cloudways blog. The response time of PHP 7 was 4ms and for PHP 5.5 it was 1.2s. This is a significant improvement over the previous versions. This also tells us that PHP 7 is a better choice than HHVM.

Comment

Working...
      X