Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eclipse 4.5 "Mars" Adds Docker Support, Early Java 9 Support

Phoronix: Eclipse 4.5 "Mars" Adds Docker Support, Early Java 9 Support

The Mars release (v4.5) of Eclipse is now available as the tenth annual release train. Eclipse Mars brings many new features to this popular, cross-platform integrated development environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now they just need to fix the stability of that crash prone train wreck of an IDE. Installing an unstable plugin can prevent eclipse from ever properly starting up again without reinstalling and reconfiguring. And I'm not talking about some ancient eclipse version neither, this happened to me 2 days ago in eclipse 4.4.

Comment

I wonder if it'll have a swing designer that doesn't freeze under linux every 2 seconds.

Comment

I learned the hard way that for Eclipse on Linux, you need to install the version and plugins through your software package manager (yum on Fedora or apt-get on Ubuntu) and install your plugins the same way. When I tried to just download the release and install plugins using the Eclipse software update feature, it was a buggy disaster. And if the software repositories don't have the plugin you want, consider using Eclipse without it.

I'm a free software fan bordering on fanatic, but I can understand why my colleagues on Linux prefer the proprietary version of IntelliJ. It seems to be much more stable.

Comment

I've been working with Eclipse on Linux for 5 years and it is true that it can sometimes crash or freeze. But when it always do that, it's usually that you have installed a buggy plugin. Nowadays, using the eclipse marketplace directly from the menu, installing plugins is usuallt a breeze and really safe.
          I love Eclipse & Java

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
            I learned the hard way that for Eclipse on Linux, you need to install the version and plugins through your software package manager (yum on Fedora or apt-get on Ubuntu) and install your plugins the same way. When I tried to just download the release and install plugins using the Eclipse software update feature, it was a buggy disaster. And if the software repositories don't have the plugin you want, consider using Eclipse without it.

I'm a free software fan bordering on fanatic, but I can understand why my colleagues on Linux prefer the proprietary version of IntelliJ. It seems to be much more stable.
            I usually suggest people not to install Eclipse via system's package manager (in my case it's pacman on Arch), as Eclipse does not support having addon sitting in user's directory. Every plugin needs root access to install, which can be really annoying (imagine that you have to run Eclipse in root user everytime when you want to instal new plugin).

In my case I have Eclipse in my home directory. Safe and sound. I do use both Software Update and Eclipse Marketplace to install plugins. My machine is running Arch Linux 64-bit, Gnome 3, and openjdk 8.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraaargh View Post
              I've been working with Eclipse on Linux for 5 years and it is true that it can sometimes crash or freeze. But when it always do that, it's usually that you have installed a buggy plugin. Nowadays, using the eclipse marketplace directly from the menu, installing plugins is usuallt a breeze and really safe.
              I love Eclipse & Java
              The fact that crashes can so easily happen in the first place is a testament to poor design, as is needing to restart the whole IDE when installing/uninstalling/upgrading a plugin (though I'm a little more forgiving of the latter since most IDEs still require this).

Comment

Working...
              X