Modularizing GCC Gets Discussed, Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    While I do agree that LLVM is awesome. Clang still has issues with the GCC entrenchment. Right now gcc compiles my entire gentoo system without any problems really. Clang only works with specific packages. It seems like clang needs a gcc compatibility mode or something so that it deals with gcc entrenchment better.
    Actually, Gentoo compiles fine with clang, with only a few ( maybe ten) packages being rerouted to gcc (gnome desktop profile). There is only a crash in gjs I couldn't figure out, yet. I used clang-9999 for the build.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
      Actually, Gentoo compiles fine with clang, with only a few ( maybe ten) packages being rerouted to gcc (gnome desktop profile). There is only a crash in gjs I couldn't figure out, yet. I used clang-9999 for the build.
      That's good to hear. That's a lot better than it was a little less than a year ago.

Comment

That's good to hear. That's a lot better than it was a little less than a year ago.
        I would imagine FreeBSD shifting over to CLang fulltime probably had a big influence on that.

Comment

For the records: The compiler introduced itself as clang-3.7, but it should be quite the same as clang-3.6, considering it isn't out, yet. Oh, and I'm on a mostly stable profile, only trying an ~amd64 package it the stable version didn't compile. Compiling gentoo with Clang makes it so faaaaast
          Last edited by oleid; 09 March 2015, 03:26 AM.

Comment

I think that Stallman is not against the modularity of gcc, modularity is a good thing...

Stallman is against a re-write of gcc in c++, which I disapprove too, because c++ is a very ugly language!
            He is not against modularity, from what I understand..

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
              I think that Stallman is not against the modularity of gcc, modularity is a good thing...

Stallman is against a re-write of gcc in c++, which I disapprove too, because c++ is a very ugly language!
              He is not against modularity, from what I understand..
              all its ugliness c++ got from compatibility with c. so uneducated c zealots really shouldn't talk about it

Comment

I hope GCC moves forward, cause I don't like gcc cause you can close the staff you want so that you can close critical components and lock a device.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  all its ugliness c++ got from compatibility with c. so uneducated c zealots really shouldn't talk about it
                  The problem of the c++ been so ugly, have nothing to do with C language, but instead with the "psyco trance parties" and "movie of terror" that the creators have done hours before start writing code for it...

And because of that, they created a powerful language, but a freak one...some sort of "the MAster Frankenstein" of all the Frankensteins in programing languages out there...

I think that the educated people out there understand this fact very well, and maybe because they are educated enough, and have GOOD TASTE...they don't like this language...

Comment

Working...
                  X