No announcement yet.

SPIR-V In GCC Is Already Being Talked About

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, now this is definitely starting to be interesting. This could very realistically end up with being able to write shaders and OpenCL in GDC (the compiler, not the event) eventually, and that would be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
      Actually I don't think RMS ever had anything against the Linux kernel. He wasn't (and still isn't) happy about Linus' stance on the politics of free software and about the fact that the whole world has always called it Linux, not GNU Linux.
      Todays it's possible to get rid of GNU completely, so there's no single reason to call it GNU/Linux. Following RMS logic we should call it X11/KDE/GNU/Linux.

Comment

Michael, I think you got the front-end and back-end thing backwards at the beginning of the last paragraph. The compiler front-end never consumes intermediate representation, at best it can generate it if you define the boundary of front-end and back-end to be at the end of IR generation. And the back-end either consumes it or generates and then consumes it at the later stage of final code generation.

Originally posted by paulpach View Post
        From Ulrich Drepper, the mantainer of glibc:
        This was GlibC 1.09, get with the context. I think Stallman had a good strategic point in taking this stance back then in 1994 when Hurd still stood a chance to become the preferred kernel.

This is very hilarious coming from Ulrich Drepper, the guy who refused to merge strlcpy and strlcat in GlibC calling them BSD crap. I actually agree with his reasoning but not with his conclusions.

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
        Todays it's possible to get rid of GNU completely, so there's no single reason to call it GNU/Linux.
        So is it possible to get rid of Linux completely. Debian GNU/kFreeBSD and Arch Hurd come to my mind. In fact, from the user perspective swapping the kernel has fewer effects on the operating system experience than swapping the kind of programs provided by GNU for GNU/Linux systems.

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
        Following RMS logic we should call it X11/KDE/GNU/Linux.
        Yes. Stallman is being consistent and honest, and you are a misinformed babbler misrepresenting his views in a public discussion that was derailed from a new graphics intermediate representation in GCC to a bunch of Linus Torvalds fanatics discussing whose idol is the best.

Comment

Originally posted by IsacDaavid View Post
          Stallman is being consistent and honest, and you are a misinformed babbler misrepresenting his views in a public discussion that was derailed from a new graphics intermediate representation in GCC to a bunch of Linus Torvalds fanatics discussing whose idol is the best.
          Are you being any better by throwing effectively gasoline on the fire?

Comment

Working...
          X