PlayStation 4 System Compiler Support Landing In LLVM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
    LLVM is over 10 years old, and yet Stallman shit the bed one year ago. Perhaps he shit the bed due to the fact he's seeing the GPL being used less and not more?
    10 years ago LLVM was nothing that you could compare to GCC. It was just "Yet Another Compiler".
    Nowadays LLVM is endorsed by many projects and there are efforts to make LLVM capable of compiling the Linux kernel. These efforts break the de facto monopoly GCC had for a long time in regards to Linux (if you wanted to compile a Linux kernel you had barely any other choice than GCC). Stallman sees the grip GNU had on open source software vanishing, that is why he is shitting his pants.

Comment

Hard to maintain a LLVM fork

Probably it's more likely due to the cost estimation of maintaining a fork of LLVM.

Remember all the other Sony electronic products are all Linux-based but they mainlined almost nothing.
      (Yes, they open-sourced them according to GPL v2)
      And license of LLVM doesn't even required them to open sourced.

Considering what many others saying about the complexity between each LLVM release, it seems to be the cost-saving option for them.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        Well, that's a good thing then. They didn't have to, but they did. If every company had ethics like that we'd all be better off.
        Sony and ethics in the same sentence. Ought to be enough to get you into a padded room, yes.

Comment

The compiler code may be released but the PS4 still remains a locked down piece of crap, undeserving of any attention from hobby developers (no, their silly .NET "indie" developer stuff is not even close). The only open games console still seems to remain the Ouya. Perhaps this should be mentioned more!

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
            The only open games console still seems to remain the Ouya. Perhaps this should be mentioned more!
            I thought it's already dead. Wait a minute, what is Ouya anyway ?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Sony and ethics in the same sentence. Ought to be enough to get you into a padded room, yes.
              Basically everytime they get a chance, they try to lock down their things with shackles and chains. They did this with Betamax, CDs, and even made some codecs and containers that had one feature: Shackles and Chains.

AVCHD is actually very good, but really all it is, is a specific quality level of h.264 and that's it. They could have used matroska or OGG and still have gotten the same results. That being said, it seems like everything that both Sony and Philips work on together, wins. Cassette Tapes, S/PDIF, CDs, and even this format has been widely accepted. Even so, they've tried some nasty things with DRM in almost anything that they can. I believe they even had a rootkit at one point...

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
                Basically everytime they get a chance, they try to lock down their things with shackles and chains. They did this with Betamax, CDs, and even made some codecs and containers that had one feature: Shackles and Chains.
                Found the link to the Betamax thing I was talking about. I was referring to this case.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  I never bought one, But I do remember the rootkit they put on their laptops. Maybe I should have said, "In this particular instance".

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                    The compiler code may be released but the PS4 still remains a locked down piece of crap, undeserving of any attention from hobby developers (no, their silly .NET "indie" developer stuff is not even close). The only open games console still seems to remain the Ouya. Perhaps this should be mentioned more!
                    the Ouya is even less worth attention from hobbyists, the individual behind it is obsessed on TV shows as opposed to gaming, and they had all sorts of hardware foul-ups, and at this point they either need to do a hardware refresh or they will be completely obsolete. Instead if you're going to focus on Android micro-consoles it should be on the mad catz mojo. That said Android Microconsoles don't have a significant market worth bothering with.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                      Well, that's a good thing then. They didn't have to, but they did. If every company had ethics like that we'd all be better off.
                      Ethics don't mean much for a company (a bit, indirectly through PR). Here, it is business sense that brings back this code. A good business plan for open source is always better than regulation, but it's not always possible.

Comment

Working...
                      X