Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC 5 Will End Up Coming To Fedora 22

Phoronix: GCC 5 Will End Up Coming To Fedora 22

Earlier this month it didn't look like GCC 5 would be added to Fedora 22 unless the release was delayed and at least week's FESCO meeting, the committee decided not to delay Fedora 22. After this week's FESCo meeting, GCC 5 will now be added as the Fedora 22 compiler while still aiming for a mid-May release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Please, someone correct me if I am wrong!

Most packages shipped within Fedora 22 will not have been compiled using the compiler shipped within Fedora 22; sometimes because the developer did not have time to do it, sometimes because such packages will fail to work when compiled with GCC 5. So, Fedora 22 users can no longer download source RPM files, compile them, and expect the resulting binary RPM file to work.

Does not seem like a good idea to me...

Comment

+1, this is wrong. I had some bad experiences then they start mixing things (remember Fedora 19 for AArch64?) C11 and C++11 ABI changes had fallout when they were enabled in GCC. There will be issues, but I guess, they can always fix the issues and push them as updates. The important part for them is to get the compiler in. Stage 4 for GCC was announcement was quite unexpected for me, maybe because of Fedora 22.

Comment

Originally posted by eduperez View Post
        Most packages shipped within Fedora 22 will not have been compiled using the compiler shipped within Fedora 22
        My understanding is that all shipping packages are built from source by the online Fedora "Koji" build system http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Koji. It is bad practice to build shipping binaries on developer machines (reproducibility/versioning/security/etc.). Binaries will be built by whatever compilers Koji is configured for.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
          My understanding is that all shipping packages are built from source by the online Fedora "Koji" build system http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Koji. It is bad practice to build shipping binaries on developer machines (reproducibility/versioning/security/etc.). Binaries will be built by whatever compilers Koji is configured for.
          you got it wrong. all packaged are built by koji, but some were built long ago with other compiler

Comment

Originally posted by eduperez View Post
            Please, someone correct me if I am wrong!

Most packages shipped within Fedora 22 will not have been compiled using the compiler shipped within Fedora 22; sometimes because the developer did not have time to do it, sometimes because such packages will fail to work when compiled with GCC 5. So, Fedora 22 users can no longer download source RPM files, compile them, and expect the resulting binary RPM file to work.

Does not seem like a good idea to me...
            most packages will built just fine. if not, you can fix it yourself or file bugs. fedora users can not be dumb and compile from source at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              you got it wrong. all packaged are built by koji, but some were built long ago with other compiler
              Ouch. So that basically means that if there is a security problem, the Fedora security team members will have to run around in a panic, find the source, fix the issue, figure out how to build it, and then poke it back into Koji?

Rather them than me! I really did think that people ran continuous integration build jobs these days...

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
                Ouch. So that basically means that if there is a security problem, the Fedora security team members will have to run around in a panic, find the source, fix the issue, figure out how to build it, and then poke it back into Koji?

Rather them than me! I really did think that people ran continuous integration build jobs these days...
                NOTE: I maintain a couple of packages in Fedora.

Actually, its far simpler than it looks.
                Switch to the RPM package git.
                Edit the SPEC file, adding the missing security patch.
                Use mock to build the package locally, test it.
                Commit the git changes to the Fedora git server.
                Order Koji to build the RPM.
                Access the package admin management (web, cmdline), create ticket for the package update.
                Done.

I'm *very* slow at this (usually due to lack of time) and it takes me 30 minutes to issue a new build for all supported versions (EL[567], Fedora[R,N,N-1])

Per subject at hand, can say that I like the idea of having two compilers used in the base system. It has been done in the past; in most cases there was minimal fallout.
                Hopefully it'll be same this time.
                oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
                X