Why Google Chrome Switched To The Clang Compiler On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brad0 View Post
    I'm not going to read the whole thread but it is common for many other threads on Phoronix. It is what this site is known for.
    Really?

You're putting words in my mouth and sounding crazy as hell.
    You said "LOL. You mean like the GPL zealots continually attacking other licenses for not respecting their freedom? Are you that deluded?" and "Except that is exactly what RMS is doing. Strings attached and limitations is not freedom. Very twisted." You also said "You GCC lovers are pathetic. It is pretty clear none of you have ever had to maintain a toolchain for an OS. Just more stupid comments."

I said that the GPL 'zealots' have been on the defensive in the discussion.

caligula: "GPL products are usually of much lower quality than BSD code. Compare gnu libc and musl. Musl wins. Compare LLVM and GCC. Much less code in LLVM. tmux vs gnu screen? The BSD always wins. BSD cares about code quality and professional coders use it. Even companies use it. GPL otoh is closer to communism and they believe that everyone should be able to tinker with bad quality code. RMS himself said the top priority is preventing companies from using the tools. Having technical merits is not important for GNU. So it's kind of easy to see why people favor BSD software. For example LLVM has a simple goal to be technically superior to GCC and let companies use it. GCC wants to enforce GPLv3 down your throat and stop Apple from using it."

Marc Driftmeyer: "Sorry, but any halfwit can figure out that GCC is becoming a disease with the GPLv3 and beyond."

So... yeah, we've been on the defensive and those crazy accusations I wrote were actually levelled against FSF/GPL/copyleft.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
      You said "LOL. You mean like the GPL zealots continually attacking other licenses for not respecting their freedom? Are you that deluded?"
      Yes, and many times I come into threads on this site about BSD and BSD related software and BSD people are on the defensive about our license too with various attacks from the GPL zealots and other nut bags.

"Except that is exactly what RMS is doing. Strings attached and limitations is not freedom. Very twisted."
      Yes, it is putting limitations on what I can do with the code. That isn't acceptable to me. That is restricting MY freedom.

"You GCC lovers are pathetic. It is pretty clear none of you have ever had to maintain a toolchain for an OS. Just more stupid comments."
      Yes, pointing at a package for another OS and pretending like that is the same thing as maintaining a toolchain for a different OS is stupid and clueless. But common especially for Phoronix.

Comment

Yes, and many times I come into threads on this site about BSD and BSD related software and BSD people are on the defensive about our license too with various attacks from the GPL zealots and other nut bags.
        I've been around the site longer than you, though not as active on the forums, and I don't see nearly the same anti-BSD comments as anti-GPL. So unless you provide more evidence, I say you're trolling. The anti-GPL crowd posted the insults, not us - and we didn't insult the BSD license fans in return because we have a philosophical disagreement and no motive to throw insults.

Yes, it is putting limitations on what I can do with the code. That isn't acceptable to me. That is restricting MY freedom.
        is restricting MY freedom

Is the code locking you up and stealing your things? You can't do anything you want with the Linux kernel. But you can't do anything you want with the NT kernel, either. So I don't understand why you're bashing GPL when the elephant in the software copyright room is still proprietary software.

And if I want to release something and be sure that as long as I live, I will have access to the source code of all forks of it, then the BSD is restricting MY freedom and the GPL is not. It's just a different - but not less valid - angle of looking at the exact same situation.

Yes, pointing at a package for another OS and pretending like that is the same thing as maintaining a toolchain for a different OS is stupid and clueless. But common especially for Phoronix.
        But you didn't say that souenzzo (who you wrote that in response to) was incorrect, or insult just him or her. "You GCC lovers are pathetic".

In any event, I've had enough.

Comment

I've been around the site longer than you, though not as active on the forums, and I don't see nearly the same anti-BSD comments as anti-GPL. So unless you provide more evidence, I say you're trolling. The anti-GPL crowd posted the insults, not us - and we didn't insult the BSD license fans in return because we have a philosophical disagreement and no motive to throw insults.
          LOL. Too deluded. Out of touch with reality.

Is the code locking you up and stealing your things?
          It isn't stealing when we're giving the code away for everyone to use as they please.

But you didn't say that souenzzo (who you wrote that in response to) was incorrect, or insult just him or her. "You GCC lovers are pathetic".

Good, don't need to be insulted with your crap.

Comment

LOL. Too deluded. Out of touch with reality.

It isn't stealing when we're giving the code away for everyone to use as they please.

Good, don't need to be insulted with your crap.
            I have now read a couple of your posts, and I have come to the conclusion that you are a very stupid person.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
              I have now read a couple of your posts, and I have come to the conclusion that you are a very stupid person.
              Most of the people that post here are too. What is your point?

Comment

Most of the people that post here are too. What is your point?
                None whatsoever! Just like pointing out the obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                  None whatsoever! Just like pointing out the obvious.
                  Same old Phoronix.

Comment

I logged in for the first time here in ages just to say that your tolerance and restraint in arguing with a troll is definitely appreciated. Calm and rational voices have always had a tough time on the internet, but it seems (even if this is perhaps only a perception) to be getting even worse lately.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithZG View Post
                      I logged in for the first time here in ages just to say that your tolerance and restraint in arguing with a troll is definitely appreciated.
                      Hilarious for a site full of trolls.

Originally posted by KeithZG View Post
                      Calm and rational voices have always had a tough time on the internet, but it seems (even if this is perhaps only a perception) to be getting even worse lately.
                      I have been saying this for years.

Comment

Working...
                      X