X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brad0
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    It's funny how many idiots are out there.

In this single thread there are two very vocal idiots, luckily, both are now on my ignore list.

Both have never compiled a single line of code, yet they rush to contradict with the people whose lives are the code.

And thank you, hosch, for bringing some sanity into this otherwise insane discussion.
    Yes, this site is very sad and seems to attract a lot of deranged trolls and idiots.

Leave a comment:

• asdfblah
    replied
    If you really need a shorter compile time, why don't you buy (or rent) a faster CPU? Hell, even if your CPU is not the same as your target architecture, you could try cross-compiling it, and it still would take less time...

Originally posted by BeardedGNUFreak View Post
    And there you have it.

When your wacko ideology is the driving force in the software you use or create you end up garbage software like GCC.

Everyone should be thankful that we have this renaissance in Open Source compiler technology thanks to the Open and Free BSD license. And sober warning of the massive harm the cancerous and viral GPL brings to the software world.
    >When your wacko ideology is the driving force in the software you use
    Says the BSD guy.

>garbage software
    >GCC
    lol, OK.

You are no more than a sad troll.

Leave a comment:

• BeardedGNUFreak
    replied
    Originally posted by hosch View Post
    PS: I'm using mainly GCC because of the licencse, GPL. Which secures freedom, what LLVM is not doing with the it' licence, BSD. But anyway, I've
    installed both and using sometimes LLVM.
    And there you have it.

When your wacko ideology is the driving force in the software you use or create you end up garbage software like GCC.

Everyone should be thankful that we have this renaissance in Open Source compiler technology thanks to the Open and Free BSD license. And sober warning of the massive harm the cancerous and viral GPL brings to the software world.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    It's funny how many idiots are out there.

In this single thread there are two very vocal idiots, luckily, both are now on my ignore list.

Both have never compiled a single line of code, yet they rush to contradict with the people whose lives are the code.

And thank you, hosch, for bringing some sanity into this otherwise insane discussion.

Leave a comment:

• hosch
    replied
    Phoronix is the only well known website which focus on gaming and benchmarks, but quality journalism is something different.
    I just feels like fanboyism...

1. Run time of compiled binaries matter, for every user, always
    2. A reduced compile time is nice for actual the developer (in some cases me)
    3. It is nearly impossible to simply compare "bare results" of compile times, because of different kinds of optimization and debugging

Just read here for a good average picture:
    Sa, 11/09/2013 - 21:00 — Draketo Phoronix recently did a benchmark of GCC vs. LLVM on AMD hardware. Sadly their conclusion did not fit the data they showed. Actually it misrepresented the data so strongly, that I decided to speak up here instead of having my comments disappear in their forums. This post was started on 2013-05-14 and got updates when things changed -... 1w6

GCC could improve a lot, e.g. user interface for auto-completion. But the actual performance is really not the problem. Binary objects created
    by GCC are as fast as LLVM, or sometimes even faster. In fact, both projects can learn a lot from each other, especially because Microsoft, Intel
    and IBM are only moving slowly.

PS: I'm using mainly GCC because of the licencse, GPL. Which secures freedom, what LLVM is not doing with the it' licence, BSD. But anyway, I've
    installed both and using sometimes LLVM.

Leave a comment:

• brosis
    replied
    Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
    Almost any time that I can sit down to work on my hobby project, I first have to spend 45 minutes pulling updates and recompiling. If I can cut that to 25, I will and have
    This is a vague use case, as reduction in compile times are mostly due to lacking/bad optimization. Compile fast, run slow.
    When both produce binaries that are comparably fast, I never saw GCC loosing to CLANG/LLVM in compilation time of that binaries.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    No, no, no. Spend enough time developing on large projects and you will welcome any compiler speed improvements you can get.
    don't enable optimizations during development ffs
    If the compiled code can be roughly the same performance, then why wouldn't you want a faster compiler with better error reporting and better integration with your dev environment.
    stop using macos then. linuxes have modern gcc versions, which have better error reporting and better intergation with their dev environment

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    clang can produce slow programs fast.
    that's not news.
    btw, gcc with -O0 is even faster

Leave a comment:

• Veerappan
    replied
    Originally posted by mike4 View Post
    Also it only makes sense to test for compiled app speed, not for compiler speed.
    No, no, no. Spend enough time developing on large projects and you will welcome any compiler speed improvements you can get.

If the compiled code can be roughly the same performance, then why wouldn't you want a faster compiler with better error reporting and better integration with your dev environment. Add in how easy it is to hack on llvm (e.g. adding in new language support), and the only thing that I use GCC for anymore is the apps that won't build on clang in Linux because they've been written assuming GCC-specific features.

Almost any time that I can sit down to work on my hobby project, I first have to spend 45 minutes pulling updates and recompiling. If I can cut that to 25, I will and have

Leave a comment:

• mike4
    replied
    This is for people that think around corners it seems.

The license is NOT compiler dependant, of course.

Also it only makes sense to test for compiled app speed, not for compiler speed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X