Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    From that link

"[...] We are only seeking to provide a replacement for the Mono VM and AOT compiler [...]"

It appears that they just changed one and only one part so that they can compile to C++ like the rest of their toolchain. They haven't abondoned Mono itself. Xamarin is offering a commercial license as an alternative to their LGPL'ed runtime. That is very similar to what Digia/Qt Company does. Not something I prefer but nothing unusual either.
    From the Mono Licensing page:

For example, if you manufacture a device where the end user is not able to do an upgrade of the Mono virtual machine or the Moonlight runtime from the source code, you will need a commercial license of Mono and Moonlight.

Or if you ship an application that requires to statically link the Mono runtime and you are not able to provide the object code to relink Mono, you must obtain a commercial license from Xamarin.
    It seems like they're replacing only what's necessary to avoid the licensing costs. That also explains why they're shipping a really old runtime instead of taking advantage of the many recent improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon
      Go away and come only back when you have anything substantial to say. No one needs trolls like you, there are already better ones here. Damn it, even the antiBSD troll is a better troll than you.
      Yes, comparing free software projects from hundreds of volunters with ebola or anything like this is just pure nonsense, and I dont know how to talk with trolls like that anymore.

I am sorry for my direct method of telling to kill yourself (i didnt mean it like this obviously).

MonoDevelop btw. is a great IDE, I wish the C++ support would be better integrated. C# for itself is just wonderful, too.

And Docky is an awesome dock, too.

For the GTK+ side however, I recommend Vala, because its more GTK oriented and has similar c# manners. Those Mono dependencies can sometimes get a bit frustrating and big.

And like always: if you dont need it or anything like this, dont use it. but its 100% free software, so dont cry "proprietary"

Comment

Windows still stuck on 3.2.3

It does not cleanly compile with mingw. And no gtk#3 on windows.

Comment

Working...
        X