GCC 5 Might Switch Its Default C Version To "GNU11"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
    To get some perspective: Visual Studio 2013 apparently finally has proper C99 support
    no, it isn't. it is marked 'partial'
    if you in need of some laugh, even vs 2014 is not going to have proper c++98 support(it is not like there was some earlier c++ standard=>they do not support standard c++ at all, while msvc is primarily c++(as opposed to c) compiler).
    Last edited by pal666; 08 October 2014, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      that was the best one can do in 2011
      they are three years late
      Wrong. C11, the standard was released in end of 2011. Compiler support has to become available and widespread before the default language can be switched over.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
        Wrong. C11, the standard was released in end of 2011. Compiler support has to become available and widespread before the default language can be switched over.
        wrong. when new standard is backwards compatible, compiler support has to become available only in compiler which switched default.

Comment

wrong. when new standard is backwards compatible, compiler support has to become available only in compiler which switched default.
          Wrong again. No compiler makes it default as soon as the latest version is implemented. It is opt-in at first. Besides GCC 4.9 was the first version to have mature C11 support. There is also the need for glibc to have the necessary backend support.

https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/C11Status

Last edited by RahulSundaram; 08 October 2014, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Wrong again. No compiler makes it default as soon as the latest version is implemented. It is opt-in at first. Besides GCC 4.9 was the first version to have mature C11 support. There is also the need for glibc to have the necessary backend support.

https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/C11Status

wrong again. some compilers even support only latest implemented version.
            slowness of gcc or glibc do not make them not being three years late.

Comment

wrong again. some compilers even support only latest implemented version.
              slowness of gcc or glibc do not make them not being three years late.
              Don't be silly. Which compiler supports only the latest implementation version right after implementing it? Provide the reference.

Comment

no, it isn't. it is marked 'partial'
                if you in need of some laugh, even vs 2014 is not going to have proper c++98 support(it is not like there was some earlier c++ standard=>they do not support standard c++ at all, while msvc is primarily c++(as opposed to c) compiler).
                C99 is marked partial for almost all compilers. Some points of it turned out to be silly and never implemented. It is easier to have full support of C11 than C99.

Comment

Don't be silly. Which compiler supports only the latest implementation version right after implementing it? Provide the reference.
                  the only one who is silly here is you. the most used compiler msvc

Comment

the only one who is silly here is you. the most used compiler msvc
                    FAIL. msvc doesn't even support c11 much less make it the default. Talk about being slow. Besides I noticed the distinct lack of reference.

Comment

FAIL. msvc doesn't even support c11 much less make it the default. Talk about being slow. Besides I noticed the distinct lack of reference.
                      you decided to spend this day making fool of yourself ? i didn't say msvc supports c11, i even explicitly said it doesn't. i said it supports only latest implemented language version. and i didn't say it is faster than gcc. i said gcc is three years late. i have not seen reference from you regarding "no compiler..." bullshit

Comment

Working...
                      X