X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veerappan
    replied
    Originally posted by bnolsen View Post
    totally agreed. ram is so cheap this is silly.
    On newer Desktop/laptop machines, this is true. On an atom/brazos machine, there are sometimes hardware limitations to the amount of RAM the system can have... In those cases, the chip might be able to run 64-bit code (and get the new instructions and more registers), but it wouldn't hurt to have 32-bit pointers to items in RAM.

Leave a comment:

• bnolsen
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    I'm sorry, but I just don't see the point in x32. It seems like a complete waste of effort.
    totally agreed. ram is so cheap this is silly.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    I'm sorry, but I just don't see the point in x32. It seems like a complete waste of effort.

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Google Wants LLVM To Mainline x32 ABI Support

Google Wants LLVM To Mainline x32 ABI Support

Phoronix: Google Wants LLVM To Mainline x32 ABI Support

The Google Native Client (NaCl) team is looking to upstream some of their LLVM changes such as support for Software Fault Isolation (SFI). As part of pushing forward the changes for Native Client in LLVM, they're also looking to see mainlined the x32 ABI support. X32 is the Application Binary Interface that looks to take advantage of common x86_64 CPU features like increased CPU registers and more instruction set extensions while using 32-bit pointers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X