Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GCC 14.1 Compiler Released - Intel APX & AVX10.1 Support, AMD Zen 5 Target & -fhardened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To me an important GCC 14 feature is C++ module scanning for named modules (P1689R5). This is required for build tools like CMake and Meson to figure out module-related dependencies. Without this feature, build tools needs to implement a C++ parser.
    Great job GCC folks!

Comment

Originally posted by mathletic View Post
      To me an important GCC 14 feature is C++ module scanning for named modules (P1689R5). This is required for build tools like CMake and Meson to figure out module-related dependencies. Without this feature, build tools needs to implement a C++ parser.
      Great job GCC folks!
      It wss contributed by KitWare/CMake developers.

Comment

I am surfing with C++20 modules and clang quite happily.

I wonder if GCC already manages to compile a modules based C++ project already....

Comment

As Michael wrote in his previous article, Fedora 40 is already on 14.01 and I have been using it to compile the kernel. It is working no problems. So, I can confirm GCC 14 can reliably build the kernel.

Comment

I would be curious to see benchmarks of the performance impact of “-fhardened” vs defaults. My understanding is that the flag is supposed to enable a reasonable set of hardening options that could (should?) be enabled by default in many software packages or distros, without maintainers needing to keep up with and make their own decisions for each of the individual security related options. Just like “-O2” etc do for optimisation options.

Comment

Working...
            X