No announcement yet.

Rust-Based Coreutils 0.0.26 Increases Compatibility With GNU Coreutils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible that you don't understand my concern at all? The problem is not that there are dependencies, the problem is that it's 300 of them

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroPointEnergy View Post
      Is it possible that you don't understand my concern at all? The problem is not that there are dependencies, the problem is that it's 300 of them
      I understand it perfectly fine. Thanks for asking. It is not a problem. I have a different perspective if you will.

Having said that, is it really 300 unique external dependencies? Last time I check with a previous recent version seem less but I acknowledge that I didn't did a fully detailed account. Many dependencies seemed repeated.

Comment

Originally posted by darkonix View Post

I understand it perfectly fine. Thanks for asking. It is not a problem. I have a different perspective if you will.

Having said that, is it really 300 unique external dependencies? Last time I check with a previous recent version seem less but I acknowledge that I didn't did a fully detailed account. Many dependencies seemed repeated.
        uutils has a lot less deps. if one actually cared to check you can run something like the command below, Now this doesn't filter out sub crates (IE. rstest rstest_macros would be a single dep in reality) I used to use awk to get rid of package1 package1-something duplicates but I dont remeber the invocation for that. IIRC it was 71 unique crates, and of those unique crates you had a lot of simple ones like sha2 and sha3, time, etc.

cargo tree --prefix none | awk '{print $1}' | sort | uniq -u | sed '/uu/d' | wc -l
        115​

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
          it was 71 unique crates, and of those unique crates you had a lot of simple ones like sha2 and sha3, time, etc.
          But maybe the magic number for trust is 70, and 71 is one too many... ;-)

Comment

ZeroPointEnergy please read the following articles. I believe that they are very interesting and explain the situation better than I can do.

Comment

Originally posted by darkonix View Post

But maybe the magic number for trust is 70, and 71 is one too many... ;-)
              The gentoo ebuild lists around 300 crates in the sources for this package

Will read the links you posted, thanks. I'm not out to bash rust, I genuinely concerned about this and if there are good arguments why this isn't an issue I'm happy to read about it. But you yourself just shrugged it away, don't do that, it helps no one, least of all rust and you.

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroPointEnergy View Post

The gentoo ebuild lists around 300 crates in the sources for this package

Will read the links you posted, thanks. I'm not out to bash rust, I genuinely concerned about this and if there are good arguments why this isn't an issue I'm happy to read about it. But you yourself just shrugged it away, don't do that, it helps no one, least of all rust and you.
                Those links are interesting for me, hope they are at least informative for you.

I also think is not just quantity but also quality.

Comment

Working...
                X